I’m Turning Necks Now!

I made my own case turning drive system. SEE PICTURES. Bought a wet sharpening system from Harbor Freight (Around $60.00) . Has a gear box on it that makes the Wet turning stone turns 160 RPM and works perfect. Removed wet stones. Then I had a member of forum turn an adapter to screw a Universal shellholder off of a Lyman trimmer (Around $15.00). It is a little BIG LOL and bulky but it just keeps on turning. I shoot Several 30/30 based wildcats in my contender a 6mm BB IMP, 6.5Mmm BB IMP, & a 219 Donaldson Wasp. Also have a 20 TAC & 20 Vartrag All have a tight chamber and need neck turning. Don't enjoy neck turning but it eliminates a lot of time and trouble

Meant to say. By using the Universal shellholder off a Lyman trimmer, you don't need any additional shellholder. One size fits ALL

Safe Turning
Doug

Donut on unturned piece of brass.....The key is having enough freebore to have a seated bullet above the donut...Not all donuts are created equal some are larger than others.

That said i've never had a donut on a neck turned piece of brass, turned into the shoulder.

1691795584510.jpeg

Doug, that is a very slick set up there!

When necking down 308 brass, make your first cut at 30 caliber, then the base of the neck becomes part of the shoulder, which helps eliminate doughnuts or ****** their growth. You can always take a clean-up cut at the intended caliber.

Seating bullets with the Bullet shank/boat tail above the shoulder/neck junction is not always possible, especially if you do not want to shoot a single shot. Folks can be too lazy or ill-informed enough to deal with doughnuts, so keeping the shank of the bullet above the shoulder/neck junction has become very popular.

Folks can be too lazy or ill-informed enough to deal with doughnuts, so keeping the shank of the bullet above the shoulder/neck junction has become very popular.

So a person is lazy or ill-informed because they were smart enough to spec a reamer where the donut isn't an issue...Gotcha.

Donut on unturned piece of brass.....The key is having enough freebore to have a seated bullet above the donut...Not all donuts are created equal some are larger than others.

That said i've never had a donut on a neck turned piece of brass, turned into the shoulder.

View attachment 484944
So, when I ordered my JGS reamer I really didn't know what all the numbers meant, lol. I figured "Match" and 708AI ought get it done. I got charged custom reamer price, but I basically selected one of the two 708AI reamers offered. Well, now I know what all the numbers mean and next time, I am gonna have a real custom reamer. Maybe, maybe not AI though. We will see how much I like it. WOW, lot of effort behind this project, but its made me learn lessons from the best teacher, "Experience."

My 162ELDMs are long. Seated at 2.925, at the lands, the shank in just in or near the neck/shoulder junction. I will increase this length next reamer, or I guess I could throat ream the freebore. Never done that before, but I'm told it could be done by hand with throat reamer and T handle.

Now you have another problem, Cartridge overall length vs mag box length.

Of course, if you spec a reamer out as Beluebo mentions(as many do), there is always the thinking that you can find a bug hole node with the bullet jumping a country mile. Then you are forced to talk yourself into accepting that 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards, at least for a while when the barrel is new.

I have over 50-60 reamers, never counted, along with uni throaters.

Thinking has sure changed over the years on reamer design, in many ways with some good and some not too good. Selling and marketing have to always go with what the popular thinking is of the time.

Think about it, how many reloaders/shooters go to the lengths that Gingerman has gone to in educating himself and purchasing the necessary equipment to accomplish his accuracy goals? Many have learned from the experience he has shared here on this board!

As Beluebow has suggested in his reamer design, the next logical step for Gingerman and others is to realize that a Long action is a logical conclusion, but how popular is that? Long actions while practical but NOT popular, that extra 6 oz of the weight of a long action/stock is a deal killer for many. Beluebow's reamer design is THE accepted way of designing reamers today.

Truth be known, I doubt if Gingerman will ever shoot more than one shot on a deer or hog when he is done with his load development. Even running his COAL as a single shot would not hinder him at all as I am sure he will be able to hit Oreo Cookies at 300 yards and rarely IF ever miss.

The sad truth, it is easier for a gunsmith to have his reamers designed to where the bullet shank/BT is above the Shoulder/neck junction, they get fewer callbacks from their customer's accuracy issues related to doughnuts. Barrels are expendable and are running $750+ each, plus wait time. So, if you only get 400-600 rounds of acceptable accuracy, it is no big deal.

Last edited:
Now you have another problem, Cartridge overall length vs mag box length.

Of course, if you spec a reamer out as you mention, there is always the thinking that you can find a bug hole node with the bullet jumping a country mile. Then you are forced to talk yourself into accepting that 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards, at least for a while when the barrel is new.

I have over 50-60 reamers, never counted, along with uni throaters.

Thinking has sure changed over the years on reamer design, in many ways with some good and some not too good. Selling and marketing have to always go with what the popular thinking is of the time.
Good point. The 2.925 just fits the mag. I'll save that long freebore for the single feed Savage!

Stay tuned for bullet made Oreo blizzards! LOL

Last edited:
Or Wby 307 with 2.97" mag.

Each time you fire a case, insert a bullet deep enough to feel for a doughnut, then just cut it out with the K&M carbide cutter mandrel.

The only way I would want the bullet seated out further in the 260 AI is if I needed more powder capacity.

I really like this!

Integral recoil lug and pic rail would have been a sweet option. CRF and mechanical ejector too. LOL