I’m not sure where to place this question….rifle and scopes

deerhunter61

I'm going to be purchasing an AR 6mm CM in the near future and initially the plan was to use it strictly for night hunting but I'm beginning to consider using it for both day and night hunting.

First question is does anyone else do this?

If so, what type of set up do you use to change the scopes on the rifle?

Do you have to sight in the rifle each time?

Do you use the same bullet etc for both?

Is there a question I'm not asking?

Mel

I have very limited experience with this but I have tried it. With a pic rail on top I mounted a Pulsar Thermion thermal scope. Shortly after, I mounted a conventional variable power scope. I was able to switch back and forth without issue, using the same ammo.

Most night shooting is at reasonable distances where a 1/2 moa either way doesn't matter too much. I found that switching back and forth produced less change in impact than 1/2 moa.

First question is does anyone else do this?
Yes.

If so, what type of set up do you use to change the scopes on the rifle?
Spuhr one-piece mounts on each scope, not separate rings.

Do you have to sight in the rifle each time?
I do, but it's not hard and usually very close after each change. If you're good you can do it in three shots at most.

Do you use the same bullet etc for both?
Has no bearing on scopes and sighting in, but yes I use the same ammo at day and night.

Is there a question I'm not asking?
Does thermal work during daylight hours?
Yes, and high end thermals can work surprisingly well. I use Pulsar Merger LRF binos day and night, and my Pulsar scopes work well enough during the day to shoot larger animals just fine. Pigs, mainly, but I can resolve squirrels on trees if the tree is in the shade.

Is there a scope that does both thermal and color daylight without removing?
Yes:

What about IR NV instead of thermal?
Yes: