Where to post this?? Factory Stock modification question

Allen Vinyard

I bought a used Remington 700 with the molded black stock for my next custom build. My new barrel will be a different profile than the factory barrel. Can I cut on the factory stock to make it fit or is the thing hollow or filled with foam.
I'll probably replace the stock with something more suitable to the rifle in the future but right now, money is not there for a new stock so I need to make this work if I can.

PS
Planning on a Krieger Barrel.

Cut away, it should be fine. I opened my remington stock up from the mountain rifle barrel to take a No 5 barrel. I did epoxy an aluminium bar in the foreend to stiffen it up.

Well, based on this info, my rifle will be shipping out Monday morning to Kreiger for a new barrel.

Funny how people think. I had planned on a piece of aluminum in mine too. :)

Krieger did a great job on my Remington. They trued the action face and lapped the lugs. You should be fine, I opened mine up while I waited for my McMillan A5.

In retrospect I wouldn't have done the adjustable cheek or length of pull and use that money for AI bottom metal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.