Hypothetical question.

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Posing a question to you all.
If Remington actions have been made, recent lots and hopefully as they move forward, with good CNC machines, is it feasible that you could make a set of barrel tenons already threaded and then chamber them as needed knowing they would all fit if done on a CNC?
I have never looked at, or done it this way.
I am thinking for ease of fitting in my comp guns where in the past each barrel has been slightly different in measurement. Both in chamber/headspace and thread size.
Am I looking at this backwards?

Cheers.

Sorry guys, I meant across different actions, not the same action with different barrels.
I do my own barrel work to fit my actions and yes, I can turn up multiple barrels for the same action.
I should have been clearer in my description.
The last 2 RR serial # actions I have done were the same in pitch/thread, so barrels would interchange and, the recoil lugs are tossed in favour of PT&G tapered 1/4" dual pinned jobs that also measure the same.
So, theoretically I could turn up tenons, note the dimensions and turn up barrels whenever I could knowing they would interchange.
Oh, and these last 2 actions have required only a little amount removed to true them up.

Cheers.

Sorry guys, I meant across different actions, not the same action with different barrels.
I do my own barrel work to fit my actions and yes, I can turn up multiple barrels for the same action.
I should have been clearer in my description.
The last 2 RR serial # actions I have done were the same in pitch/thread, so barrels would interchange and, the recoil lugs are tossed in favour of PT&G tapered 1/4" dual pinned jobs that also measure the same.
So, theoretically I could turn up tenons, note the dimensions and turn up barrels whenever I could knowing they would interchange.
Oh, and these last 2 actions have required only a little amount removed to true them up.

Cheers.
That's how I answered

What JE said.
This can be done with some of the M700 clones, as they're precision made to tighter tolerances.
Companies that make shouldered prefits for these work closely with the manufacturers of these actions and their specifications- which include timing of the threads precisely so that the laser engraving/stamping required on the barrel is correctly oriented.

That all said- what you're looking for in a comp application is called a switchbarrel setup. Done with the shouldered barrels, including systems like WTO's Switchlug.

Pin the recoil lug to the receiver. Change barrels without removing the receiver from the stock/chassis.

Can be done with a common Remage setup as well, but barrel nut system requires removing the action from the stock, go gauge, etc.
If you don't need to change barrels in the field, that's the easy/cheaper way to go.

G'day all,
Posing a question to you all.
If Remington actions have been made, recent lots and hopefully as they move forward, with good CNC machines, is it feasible that you could make a set of barrel tenons already threaded and then chamber them as needed knowing they would all fit if done on a CNC?
I have never looked at, or done it this way.
I am thinking for ease of fitting in my comp guns where in the past each barrel has been slightly different in measurement. Both in chamber/headspace and thread size.
Am I looking at this backwards?

Cheers.
You are looking at this backwards! Even when done on a CNC, the barrel needs to be dialed-in on the bore/rifling. Then, to chamber, it would need dialed-in, again. Best scenario, do the threading and chambering in the same set-up, especially for a comp gun. Threading only takes minutes, it's the setting up that can take some time.

Thanks Shortgrass, that's what I thought.
Trying to see if a shouldered pre-fit is feasible with a KNOWN action dimension.

Cheers.

IF you have several Remington 700 actions and you have 'trued' them so the critical barrel fitting dimensions agree with each other you could make up pre-fits that would interchange. But, if you have a barrel dialed-in to cut the threads, why not cut the chamber, too? (As you have already verified for yourself that the critical dimensions agree between actions). All is kinda' of a moot point, as new, in the box, Remington 700 receivers are "not on the shelf" at the moment. You are looking for "match" fitting and chambering. In production, shouldered barrels and receivers fit together, but that's not "match" quality, either. If you "know" action dimensions you can make shouldered pre-fits. But the way I understood your question, you are just asking if off the shelf actions are the same, or close enough, to pre-thread barrel blanks to "match" dimensions.

Exactly what I was looking for.
I have half a dozen LA Sendero rifles sitting here as donors, all RR prefix, so far 3 have trued up to be almost identical, so pondered my question.
Bolts on these are a totally different kettle of fish however, have had to replace one bolt and looking to replace at least 1 cocking piece.
What I'm wanting is a set of rifle actions I can test barrels on and use for comp. Just like my practice rifle, I can swap barrels on that at will, but now I want to swap actions too.

Cheers.
P. S.
If this doesn't work, looks like I will go into Borden actions as I can import those easily it appears.

Thanks Shortgrass, that's what I thought.
Trying to see if a shouldered pre-fit is feasible with a KNOWN action dimension.

Cheers.
At the risk of repeating myself, I'll repeat myself.

Only if you don't care if the ".308 Winchester" or whatever is engraved into the barrel ends up at the "top" of your barrel when torqued to the receiver.
Even if the boltface to receiver ring dimension is within a few thousandths on every receiver-shouldered pre-fits will not (unless you get very lucky) time correctly when installed on the receivers. There is no consistency to where the thread lead starts on barrels unless they're made for the custom actions designed for this as I mentioned previously.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.