Question

thekyrifleman

When considering going from non mag caliber to a mag caliper, say in a Rem 700, the advice is always that the bolt needs to be changed. Ok, I get that given the difference in head size. However, not being all that knowledgeable, I have had this experience. I bought a long desired Ruger #1, quite a few years back. Beautiful, 7mag, since I already had a Rem 700 in that caliber. Well, long story short, it wouldn't group inside 3" to save my life!!!! Back to the factory, new barrel, returned with sample target..1.5" at 50 yds.. Note said " in spec "!! Ok, after way too much money on the fixins', I finally took it to a smith I was using and asked him to change it.....ok, now I have a 220 Swift, Douglas, 26", air gauged barrel, shoots into a half inch no sweat. Ok, point is, his comment was "All I need to do is change the extractor "!!!! The rifle functions perfectly. What am I missing, I.e., why not the same operation with a Rem bolt???

Thanks for any insights...

I'll take a guess here since I don't own a Ruger #1, but if the #1 has a flat breach face then the diameter of the case doesn't matter. With the Rem 700, the bolt face is recessed with a diameter of the case head.

Great guess ShtrRdy.

To the thekyrifleman,
Open the breech on both rifles with the brass in question and take a look. The issue should be obvious. The big one being the magnum brass will not physically fit into the recessed bolt face on the 700. Once the bolt face is opened up you have to fit an extractor that will work since most of the original extractor groove will be machined away. An M-16 extractor is a good sturdy option. A Sako extractor used to be the way to go but over time it was found out that it is not the safest option.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.