Hypothetical Performance

Thats basically right where I am at with the 33N in a 26" barrel.

Now a 375 that is based on a 2.5" case. Possible to load some of the high bc 375 bullets and still be a repeater in a standard 700 long action?
You think my case would work well as a .375 ?

Now you are talking about a lot of work to replicate the 375 ruger. The 300 PRC case capacity is 97 grains h20(parent case 375 ruger). The 30 Nosler with Nosler brass is 99. The difference of 2 grains will maybe get you 50fps if you can hit an accuracy node. I would say go for it if the case existed but it is not worth the extra work when the 375 Ruger already exists. Are you just hell bent on a wildcat? If that is the case go for it. If not the case to accomplish what you are describing already exists.

Obscure reference alert:
I love to read about all the wildcat cartridges and performance secret sauce. I constantly think up new ways to spend money and time and..... guess I'm attracted to new and shiny, but just about everything has been done and is available in a standardized cartridge. It's like an old episode of South Park, where they were trying to do something new and exciting for a show and one of the characters kept chiming in at every idea saying, "Simpsons did it! Simpson's did it!"(don't judge me, you'd have laughed too). I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I should just pick a bullet, speed, rifle configuration and purpose, spin the wheel with every cartridge that checks those boxes and build on whatever the wheel stops on without looking at it's name.

Now you are talking about a lot of work to replicate the 375 ruger. The 300 PRC case capacity is 97 grains h20(parent case 375 ruger). The 30 Nosler with Nosler brass is 99. The difference of 2 grains will maybe get you 50fps if you can hit an accuracy node. I would say go for it if the case existed but it is not worth the extra work when the 375 Ruger already exists. Are you just hell bent on a wildcat? If that is the case go for it. If not the case to accomplish what you are describing already exists.
No, just like trying to think of something different. The only wildcat I've done that made sense was necking a 375 Ruger down to .30. But now Hornady took it. I still like trying to think of new things. Sorry I wasted this thread trying to reinvent something we already had

No, just like trying to think of something different. The only wildcat I've done that made sense was necking a 375 Ruger down to .30. But now Hornady took it. I still like trying to think of new things. Sorry I wasted this thread trying to reinvent something we already had

I was just wondering. I would not say it is a waste. It is your thread. I used to like wildcatting. I just want simple now. I would say pick a case you like and the bullet/caliber you want to shoot and go for it.

Way back in the day they had an endless list of what they could try for wildcats. But they didn't have the powder we have now. Now we have the powder and bullets but all those old-timers sucked up all the cool wildcats.
Shep

A fella ran my .338 in Quickload, he did not exceed 100% capacity.
225gr bullet, 83.6gr of RL26
24" - 2880
26" - 2934
28" - 2983

I think that seems pretty darn good, but doesn't a .338 Win Mag do the same thing?
I run a 230 in my 338SS @ 2885fps in 24inch pipe that's my accuracy node could push it over 2900

Ya'll know my vote.... WSM. Only difference in our calibers is the case mouth diameter. All headspace off a 300 WSM Gauge. As you can see from ramrod79 and I, the short fat friends can produce great speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.