Hypothetical .338 question

Capstick

I was looking at the .338 Norma compared to the Laupa. I wonder if the comparison would be the same between the .330 Dakota and the .338 RUM. If both were placed in HS precision ultra mag sized box, the comparison would be similar in my mind. The dakota round could have the bullet seated further out, reducing the case advantage of the RUM. I guess I am wondering what the difference in case capacity would be. I know that there is only around 6% difference between the Lapua and the Norma.

Now if you are scratching your head and wondering why I am even thinking about this I fully understand. I like carry rifles that can reach out a bit, with only a 26" barrel. If I wanted a true long range rig it would be one of the first two mentioned.

Last edited:
Thats why the .338 Norma was designed. It reaches .338 Lapua/RUM velocities with less powder WITH a 26" or less barrell. then the Lapua starts to edge the other two out, but only by a small margin. I like the NORMA case alot, but feel that the RUM and lapua were already there, and the RUM fits a standard action.

I think the one way I would choose the NORMA over the other two was if I wanted a 24"ish barrel, then I think the efficiency of the case would show its merrit.

Hopefully LTLR will chime in, I think he has every .338 under the sun.

The 338 WM, 338 Dakota, and 338 Norma mag. can all shoot heavy VLD bullets from a 3.6" magazine. That's their main advantage over a 338 Lapua, 338 RUM, or 338-378 Wby.

name case_len grains_H20
338 WInMag 2.50" 86
338 Dakota 2.53" 94
338 Norma 2.49" 106
338 Lapua 2.74" 112
338 RUM 2.76" 110
338-378 Wby 2.91" 137

The 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are basically the same performance. The Lapua can be ran to higher pressures giving it a slight advantage but not enough that you would ever notice. I have both the 338 RUM and 338 lapua in 26" barrels and they shoot extremely well at 26". The 330 Dakota is far less a cartridge than the big RUM and lapua. The dakota gives you a little boost over the 338 win mag to near the 340 wby. The 338 Norma is the best choice with a short magazine giving nearly the performance of the RUM and Lapua in a short barrel with more room to seat out the long vld bullets.

I have a 338 RUM standard rem 700 with a 26" barrel that is one of the best long range carry rifles I own. It will shoot the 300 grainers over 2750 fps if I want but they kick pretty good in a light carry rifle. So now I shoot the 225 grain .64 bc cutting edge bullets at 3350 fps with extreme accuracy. The CE bullets shoot faster than standard bullets by 100 fps in this rifle and several others I have tried them in. It has the accuracy to make kills on elk to 1000 yards. Scoped out with a 4-12x50 swaro it weighs 8.5 pounds. It makes a hard hitting carry rifle at a cost most can afford.

Thanks for the reply. The cutting edge combo has my interest. Do you use the Nosler or Remington brass for the RUM?

If you build a 338 Norma in a 26" expect max of 2750, except with Ramshot Magnum it will push a 300 grainer @2800-2825.

Both of mine ran 2800 with RSM

I use remington brass. Case prep is the key to excellent accuracy no matter what brand you use.

My light carry rifles are primarily half mile rifles and the 225 grain does very well within the limitations of a light rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.