Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope Review By Ernie Bishop

A couple questions for anybody in the know:

1) Is there indeed a zero stop on this scope?
2) I assume this is a SFP reticle?
3) I am a bit confused on the ability of the yardage turrets to integrate with changes in velocity, bullet bc. elevation, temperature etc...thoughts?

Thank you for your input.

Yes, all Huskemaw scopes come with zero stop.
Yes, it is a SFP scope.
Have you read the review I wrote?
Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope Review

If you read the review, and you are asking if a current turret that was set for one load will work with a different load or bullet then the answer would be no.

Yes, all Huskemaw scopes come with zero stop.
Yes, it is a SFP scope.
Have you read the review I wrote?
Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope Review

If you read the review, and you are asking if a current turret that was set for one load will work with a different load or bullet then the answer would be no.

I did read it, thank you kindly for your input.

Did it answer your question though?

Perhaps I didn't read it thoroughly enough. I may have missed the answers in your review, I will go back and read it again.

Zero stop is a must in my opinion. I don't have it on my VX7L 4.5-18 and believe me, it is a feature not to be overlooked for long range hunting applications. When you are in the field and not sure whether you have made one turn past zero or two (Yes it will happen to you), it is impossible to know where your scope is without field verifying again. This can be a real problem in a hunting situation, as actual shooting is required.

Time and again I am hearing that all you need to do with X brand scope is dial the yardage and squeeze the trigger. My concern with the yardage marks on the Huskemaw (or any other manufactures) scope turret is this: It would seem that any change in any variable effecting velocity such as bullet manufacturer, altitude, velocity, temperature etc would create a situation that cannot be compensated for with only yardage marks. One would think that you would need to be able to calculate these variables and be able to dial them into your scope. When I purchased my Leupold, one of the perks they included was this turret which they built for me based upon information I provided to them, i.e. bullet bc, velocity, altitude, etc. I had not even received the turret before I realized that I wanted to test other bullets and that turret would be basically worthless for any other testing I may want to do.

Please understand, I am in no way knocking the Huskemaw scope, I have never so much as looked through one, although I hope to have such an opportunity in the future. I do, however, think it is a mistake to portray that one can simply dial in a range with no thought to variables and get the same results with any repeatability.

Again, thank you for your review, I will go back and read it more thoroughly.

After doing a bit more research here on LRH, I see this topic has already been beat to death. Please excuse my lack of attention.

After doing a bit more research here on LRH, I see this topic has already been beat to death. Please excuse my lack of attention.

No apologies needed.
In my article the quick fix to switching to multiple rigs or playing with a lot of different loads is the 1/3 MOA turret cap-I love mine.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Hi Ernie

Great article, at the end you stated this would be a good scope for a tactical application with the reticle ranging. That's exactly what I would like to do with this scope, use it in a tactical match. gun)

My question is, If I use a 20 MOA mount with this scope will I have the capability to make hits at 1000 yards with one turn of the custom turret with a .308 175 gr 2600 fps load ? :)

Thanks

Hank

Hi Ernie

Great article, at the end you stated this would be a good scope for a tactical application with the reticle ranging. That's exactly what I would like to do with this scope, use it in a tactical match. gun)

My question is, If I use a 20 MOA mount with this scope will I have the capability to make hits at 1000 yards with one turn of the custom turret with a .308 175 gr 2600 fps load ? :)

Thanks

Hank

Hank,
How much MOA does your load require to make it to 1K with a 200 yard zero at your altitude/general temps?

Hi Ernie

Thanks

Hank

Hank,
No, it will take more than one revolution.
You will get 20 MOA of elevation in one full revolution with the Huskemaw.

That's what I thought but I can just get the 1/3 MOA turret and is it for the longer shots as most matches don't have alot of shots over 800 yards. I believe the Huskemaw will work great within the .308 loads range to 20 MOA.

Better yet maybe I will just go to the .260 gun)

Thanks for the answer :D

That's what I thought but I can just get the 1/3 MOA turret and is it for the longer shots as most matches don't have alot of shots over 800 yards. I believe the Huskemaw will work great within the .308 loads range to 20 MOA.

Better yet maybe I will just go to the .260 gun)

Thanks for the answer :D

The 260 will put you in a whole different league in terms of drop and drift at 1K:D

I have both Leupold and Nightforce scopes. I purchased a Huskemaw to mount on my new 284 THOR. It should fill the need this rifle is being built for.Simple and proven system.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have heard that Huskemaw is bringing out a new range finder that will put all others on the civilian market to shame. Anybody heard anything?gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.