hunting yotes in populated areas

To tell you the truth, in a built up areas "urban yote's" seem to come to another yote's call much faster and more often… something like the old Herb's Howler, using the "food bark" and the "where are you" call… During breading and pup season; soft hurt pups call from Herb's does the trick. After that and you've located them; just a small mouth squeaker brings them the rest of the way in. I like the .17 Rem with a 25gr HP at about 4000 fps plus for urban areas, if shot is a miss the next thing it touches takes the bullet out of play.
Remember most urban yote's don't have the same fear of man as the open country ones do. And there not as hunger most time for obveouse reasons.
The cat trick… it works, hunting in Idaho it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it work. But' "man oh man" if the press, law, or animal rights folk see it'…., stand by' for the **** storm that's coming your way; you'll most likely have your *** handed to you, in some kind of litigation on behalf of felines everywhere; the call is much cheaper.
Just my thought...

+1 w/436. Heck just a nearby neighbor with a camcorder or who knows what and the storm starts...not worth it personally or in the bigger picture.

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to find an Mp3 cat in distress at a varmint hunters site so I wont be using a real cat, didnt have a cat handy any way the wife is allergic thats one of the reasons I married her. I will also try some yelps and howls to see how that works. One good thing about shooting them out of the front yard is I have plenty of time to try different things. Thanks for all the advice and the hummor. I have laughed more at this post than any other in the past.

I feel badly for you folks who live where so many freedoms are gone and anxieties run so high.

Here's where I shoot most of my yotes, a few of my deer and elk when I can I can avoid agruments with grazing lease holders who think they own public/BIA/State owned land.

So far in 20 years I've shot no cows, horses, (lamas are tempting), or people or houses. However, one elk got shot by mistake but that wasn't by me.:)

This pic covers most of the area where the action is.

From my place to the end loop there are two personal shooting ranges with back stops including mine. The green circle on the east is used by the folks that live on that side to practice calling elk during the rut. No shooting as the land is private and posted. But its fun anyway. The the sound of shooting is just a way of live.

As the yotes are accustom to human presence the humans are accustom to shooters presence.

Myyotedeerelkpopulatedhuntingarea.jpg

I like the subdued calls for urban war far, squeakers, birds, and canine communicative type calls. Trapping coyotes in urban areas is for professionals !!!! I used to train a lot of lion and bobcat hounds and trust me using house cats for anything that remotely resembles fun will not play well in the media and the local paper, came uncomfortable close to a situation myself, it was not cool at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.