hunting yotes in populated areas

cookjp

Gents. I have a question and was hoping that I could draw on some of your knowledge. I live in Georgia in a rural area that has recently seen an increase in the local Coyote population. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to hunt these devils in a area where there are houses within sight of each other.

Im sorry I should have been more clear on my question. What I am looking for is advice on calling them in. I have had a hard time getting them to come into calls that work in more open areas. I guess they are more weary due to the constant human presence.

Same situation here. Though houses are along the edge of the hunting/shooting area.

The yotes are used to human habitat noises, sounds and smells. The take cats on a regular basis. Yappy little dogs also.

If a rifle use a very frangible bullet in a very small caliber. Or a shot gun with large shot.

Our yotes are going back to their rest area (posted land) during the half hour + after sunrise. Ambush works best then after you have their pattern pegged.

Walk and stalk works well on the days when they are hunting during the day. Picking the proper day is difficult.

Best call is a cat in a gunny sack. Hang the sack in a tree on a two ropes 3 feet or so long tied about 6 inches apart.

Turn the sack until the rope is very well twisted. Turn the thing loose and hide. After several turns the cat will start yowling. The poor sucker will continue to Yowl for as long as the sack is spinning. If not get a better cat.

There are down sides to this type of calling but only occur when conducted too close to houses.:)

first i suggest finding out your local laws about hunting and shooting near homesteads. if your in an area where house are within site of each other i don't know if shooting is the best way to go. you ever thought of trapping? i also suggest kitten distress sounds. i have one in memory on my FoxPro.

Cookjp, you might want to check your local regs on the cat thing.:)

Mr. Roy's first rule of local predator control. Don't check the local regs. Intimidate the neighbors!:D

I think Len's new crossbow would be just the ticket.

On the serious side THESE really work and are safe for neighborhoods where dogs may be caught. The Collarum, Humane Canine Capture Trap

Also, there are regs for trapping also.

Same situation here. Though houses are along the edge of the hunting/shooting area.

The yotes are used to human habitat noises, sounds and smells. The take cats on a regular basis. Yappy little dogs also.

If a rifle use a very frangible bullet in a very small caliber. Or a shot gun with large shot.

Our yotes are going back to their rest area (posted land) during the half hour + after sunrise. Ambush works best then after you have their pattern pegged.

Walk and stalk works well on the days when they are hunting during the day. Picking the proper day is difficult.

Best call is a cat in a gunny sack. Hang the sack in a tree on a two ropes 3 feet or so long tied about 6 inches apart.

Turn the sack until the rope is very well twisted. Turn the thing loose and hide. After several turns the cat will start yowling. The poor sucker will continue to Yowl for as long as the sack is spinning. If not get a better cat.

There are down sides to this type of calling but only occur when conducted too close to houses.:)

I hate cats and i've always said that i will never have one as a pet but I may have one as described above :)

BigBuck

Wait until cold weather and put out a bait pile of big roadkill - just make sure it's real heavy or you chain it down cuz they can lug off a lot more weight than you'd think. A bow out of a house window would work if bait was close enough, or you could put up a blind. Or you could opt for the .17hmr with the 20 grain bullets if you wanted to keep noise to a minimum.

Thanks for all the help. I never thought about using cat calls to draw them in. I will have to give it a try when I get home from work this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help. I never thought about using cat calls to draw them in. I will have to give it a try when I get home from work this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Hey Hon, hold this sack will ya?

This is gonna be good!!!! Can't wait for the post!:D

I hope he video's the whole process from step one calling the cat , catching the cat and ever so gently stuffing the non willing cat into the sack :D this reminds me of the time while still living at home with dad we had a ole stray dog that wouldn't go away his tail looked somewhat like a possems tail he was rough ! anyways dad says catch that dog and so i did he went into the house and got a emty milk jug and a roll of duct tape. He then went out into the drive way and put a few small gravel into the jug then replaced the lid on it. He walked over to the stray dog and took the duct tape and somehow managed to tape that jug onto its tail when he shook that jug rattle, rattle, rattle and threw it into the rear end of the dog boy did he run and everytime he did ratttle rattle rattle until he was out of SITE ...... I bet it didn't come loose for days :D

BigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts