Hunting without trajectory validation up to 600 meters possible?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Snyder97, Mar 19, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

There's tons of guys that'll buy a packaged rifle, ballistics calculator, rangefinder, and ammo built for a system and score a hit. We see it on TV all the time. But we never see those who botch a shot, miss completely, or just wound an animal only to never see it again. that's mot the kind of hunt I want.

theosmithjr and Brian Wheeler like this.
  2. jebel

jebel Well-Known Member

I think of velocity, BC, and trajectory/drop as three pillars. If you can validate any two with real world observation, you can accurately estimate the third. Don’t estimate (or read off a box) more than one.

This assumes accurate atmospheric info and calibrated scope turrets, as others have mentioned.

theosmithjr likes this.
  3. Harvey Durham

Harvey Durham Well-Known Member

Where I shoot here is at 340’ and I hunted in Colorado at 7,500. I took my Chrony with me and in 5 rounds that I shot through the Chrony it showed 4.5 FPS difference. Everything else was the same. I’d always wondered and had heard tale after tail so I wanted to know. I took 2 elk past 700 yards and used the exact calucations that I used here and dropped both in their tracks. One was a cow and it was getting dark and she had bedded and I head shot her. I’m not buying all of this elevation stuff that I hear. Another thing, the rifle that I checked and the two elk that I took were all different rifles. Just saying.

4. jebel

jebel Well-Known Member

Harvey,
    There are a lot of thoughts that come to mind reading through your experience. But the easiest are that I’m happy you got your elk and I’m tempted to ask you for some lottery numbers.
    Cheers

theosmithjr likes this.
  5. Dog Rocket

Dog Rocket Well-Known Member

If you were shooting something like a 300 WinMag with say a 200 grain Accubond w/a .588 G1 BC, then it is likely that your difference in trajectory at 700 yds was only about 10" between 340 Ft and 7500 Ft. Any number of things could have easily offset that difference so that you hit point of aim.

xsn10s likes this.