Trajectory validation

jmason

If your groups are 1/2-3/4 MOA, how do you validate trajectories? Do you just go with the group centers?

when your using exbal can you use the trajectory validation function in lieu of chrono readings? My chrono crapped out and I'd like to close the book on my data collecting for exbal.

If your groups are 1/2-3/4 MOA, how do you validate trajectories? Do you just go with the group centers?

Precisely. That would be the most scientifically correct method. And the more bullets on target, the greater the confidence that you've established a value close to the true POI at that target range. More data is always better. Problem is it gets expensive and boring after a while. So you just have to run with a quantity of data that suits your confidence requirements and acheives a level of comfort you can live with.

being a hunter more than a shooter, I validate the first cold bore shot, thats the one that matters to me, so most of my tests are done three times. just to be sure I'm right.
I chrony the cold bore shot, 3-5 days in a row in the conditions that I hunt in, I check my 300,400,500 yard drops with a cold bore shot. I can shoot a 3" group at 850 yards, the cold bore shot is around 1.5" high, the other 2 are within an inch of each other, but the first one is the important one.
I know what my cold bore velocity is, so that stays the same, I tweak the BC in the program till my chart matches my cold barrel hits. this works for me.
RR

thanks guys... I know what my velocity was when it was 50-60 degrees. It's 70-80 now. Right about the time I picked up EXBAL my chrono started flaken out.

BTW got up at 5:30 this morning to go to the range and wind is about 20 mph! Dang weather man said (yesterday) 0-5 mph winds. I don't recall it being so windy last spring. Seems to me I had a lot of calm days. Really want to get my data collecting done!!

Guess I start changing the blades on the mower- it just started raining now. the weather mans in trouble if I ever run into him:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.