Hunting with the 750gr Amax

500mag_guy

Hello all, I'm looking for hunting experiences with the 50bmg 750gr Amax's. I've got my Barrett m99 all broke in, dialed in and charts confirmed. I'm all ready for the season, but am having a difficult time finding first hand hunting experiences with the 750gr Amax's.

I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences with the massive Amax's.

Thanks for any and all info you can share, Eric

I haven't shot any yet as I'm waiting for my .50 cal to be completed, but from all of the research I did when I was deciding to build a .50 cal is that the Amax is probably about the ideal .50 bullet for hunting. The big AL tip makes for good expansion and its ballistics are really good. The only other expanding .50 cal bullets that I know of are the Barnes 647gr TSX or TACX and I think CEB makes one, but I prefer lead core bullets.

On a side note, What kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting from your M99?

Thanks

We have shot a few whitetails with them and most of them opened some. They seemed to kill pretty good. Now we are shooting them out of a custom bat actioned 50 Improved. It has a really long heavy barrel will with a carbon fiber stock. The gun will shoot 3.5 to 7 inch 5 shot groups at 1000. The one nice thing is you can really see the wash and impacts at long ranges. Matt

What powder are you using? Also how many FPS did you pick up by improving the 50?

What powder are you using? Also how many FPS did you pick up by improving the 50?
The guns are two of my buddies that I shoot and hunt with. They pick up over a hundred feet per second but dies are expensive. They both switched to RELOADER 50. It gave better accuracy then the 5010 and the 50 BMG they were using. I am not sure of the exact velocity pickup but it was over 100. Matt

I have a Elk hunt in New Mexico booked taking my 50. I have RWS primers and Brass using H50BMG powder I'm shooting a little over 1 MOA. I just bought some R50 have not done any load development yet. I ended up buying an AX50 nice rifle lots of recoil. I Will report back after my hunt

The amount of velocity gain is dependent on what brass you have and which powders and primers you use. With RWS brass & primers and Reloader 50 powder you can achieve 3050 FPS without abusing the brass. If you push the limits you can get 3150- 3175 FPS but even the tough RWS brass will only give you about 3 firings before the primer pockets are loose and used up.

My m99 is averaging 2740fps and accuracy has been incredible. At 1350 yards I can stack 3 rounds without any issue. Next Spring ill be pushing it a bit faster when i have a litte more time to work with loads.

Saturday is our opener for antelope and i plan to bring it. We've got the cameras charged and hope to get some decent footage. Ill hopefully have video and resaults to post come Sunday morning.

keep the experiences coming, id love to know if people are having any expansion or just penciling a 1/2" hole through.

Thanks, Eric

I went a picked up a 1 lb of reloader50. Normally I am 24 moa to 1000. Shooting 233 grains of H50bmg. With 240 grains of reloader50 and the 750 Amax. I was 23 MOA my groups were half the size. First group was 7.124 5 shot group. I then shot 5 at 1 mile took 56 moa. This is a game changer for my 50 was starting to loose hope and thinking about selling it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.