hunting with SMK's??

Did not miss point , everybody has strong opinions on certain bullets. Some say yes, some jump up and down and scream how it's unethical. I have some hornady superformance 165 sst's. Will make my own judgment on the SMK's

I have posted the above information many times over the years regarding the JAG decision and IN SHORT the reason that you will not see the SMK ever mentioned in the same paragraph as hunting bullets by Sierra is $$$$$$$'s! No one on this Board understands this except Kevin Thomas because USG production is a significant part of the bottom line with Big Green and nothing is going to jeopardize this especially a bunch of goober hunters (me included) who even in a best case scenario would only purchase a very small amount of this production compared to the USG.

Big Green is a Sole Source Supplier of these types of bullets as Berger's request to have theirs certified in the same manner as the SMK was summarily denied hence the marketing of the Berger as a hunting bullet. OK---did not post that for a long time but now it is out there so discuss amongst yourselves. I use the SMK in almost every hunting rifle I own including the 375!

Thanks Boss Hoss!!!

Everyone is free to choose which bullet they want to shoot at what and so the never ending debate will continue.

I will be hunting with 180gr smk's this year as well and looking for info on how they perform on deer out to 1000 yards. I have not seen any info for there performance at the velocity Iam shooting (3400fps) I hope some you can help
Thanks David

I will be hunting with 180gr smk's this year as well and looking for info on how they perform on deer out to 1000 yards. I have not seen any info for there performance at the velocity Iam shooting (3400fps) I hope some you can help
Thanks David

Which caliber? 308 or 284?
I used the 180's in the .284 on a bull elk in Wyoming this fall. One shot in the high shoulder at 400yards. Folded him up instantly.
I am only at 3250fps on velocity but you will have no problem with the speed you are shooting.

Sorry there .308
I was using 165 game kings at 3600 fps but I think it's about time for a rebarrel so I switch to the 180 smk's to try for some extra barrel life and there grouping about 3" at 500 if I do my part.

Thanks for the info. I hope to give some reports after this weekend.Iam setting up on a corn field that 2.8 miles long and 3/4 of a mile wide so I hope to stretch the 300RUM out.

Well I didn't get any really long shots this weekend. The deer didn't seem to be moving good due to 80 degree weather.I did kill a doe at 398 yards.she fell in her tracks.I must say the SMK is a awesome hunting bullet. I have a picture of the exit wound. I will try to post later when I download it from my phone.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.