Hunting with an 8 foot bed

I have a mobile hunting camp.If had it on top of continental divide, up crazy 14 mile logging road.And many a cool hunting area.Late season in Id to spring bear Mt.Fridge /freezer,stove sink, shower,main furnace, back up wave 3,solar and generator.I have one tool box converted to cool storage with 2'' blue board.This holds 5=6 days when hot.But I remake one or 2 gal jugs in eve to replenish in freezer.I store a full 66 art. Orion in backset, during archery.When cold skip the ice jest and cold camp, bring water jugs dependent on time frame for amount ,5-10 gal get my son and I a week late season.If I need a extra shuttle rigs in drive to tops and hike off full mountain, which I've done many times.I can bring Rokon on wheel less trailer off jeep.Or substitute boat for fishing trip.
IMG_1668.jpeg

I have a mobile hunting camp.If had it on top of continental divide, up crazy 14 mile logging road.And many a cool hunting area.Late season in Id to spring bear Mt.Fridge /freezer,stove sink, shower,main furnace, back up wave 3,solar and generator.I have one tool box converted to cool storage with 2'' blue board.This holds 5=6 days when hot.But I remake one or 2 gal jugs in eve to replenish in freezer.I store a full 66 art. Orion in backset, during archery.When cold skip the ice jest and cold camp, bring water jugs dependent on time frame for amount ,5-10 gal get my son and I a week late season.If I need a extra shuttle rigs in drive to tops and hike off full mountain, which I've done many times.I can bring Rokon on wheel less trailer off jeep.Or substitute boat for fishing trip.View attachment 550592

I applaud your choice of truck campers, definitely one of if not…..the best ever manufactured! Heavy……but worth every ounce! 👍

We have a Bigfoot motorhome on a Ford chassis! The previous owners did a lot of winter skiing…..had it to a -17 F, water in the system and no freeze-ups!

It was a good addition to our Teton Homes 5th wheel, which we've had to a -30 something F with water in the system ……with no freeze-ups! memtb

Last edited:
I applaud your choice of truck campers, definitely one of if not…..the best ever manufactured! Heavy……but worth every ounce! 👍

We have a Bigfoot motorhome on a Ford chassis! The previous owners did a lot of winter skiing…..had it to a -17 F, water in the system and no freeze-ups!

It was a good addition to our Teton Homes 5th wheel, which we've had to a -30 something F with water in the system ……with no freeze-ups! memtb
Teton was top of the line. Too bad they went out of business.

Teton was top of the line. Too bad they went out of business.

Yes it is…..they were great units. This is our 4th one since 1990. As the technology improved, we'd wait until someone was desperate (medical or whatever) to sell theirs. We would buy at about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new one. This last one checked all of the boxes of my wants in a 5th wheel, and was the one to carry us to our grave!

I failed to mention, they are heavy…..which may be why (along with the cost) that few folks bought them. Ours, loaded and ready to go…..20,000 + pounds! memtb

Last edited:
Yes it is…..they were great units. This is our 4th one since 1990. As the technology improved, we'd wait until someone was desperate (medical or whatever) to sell theirs. We would buy at about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new one. This last one checked all of the boxes of my wants in a 5th wheel, and was the one to carry us to our grave!

I failed to mention, they are heavy…..which may be why (along with the cost) that few folks bought them. Ours, loaded and ready to go…..20,000 + pounds! memtb
For almost six months I built the slide out units for the Tetons. All that oak interior was made in house from rough cut oak lumber. That was my attempt to get out of the transmission industry. It didn't last long.

For almost six months I built the slide out units for the Tetons. All that oak interior was made in house from rough cut oak lumber. That was my attempt to get out of the transmission industry. It didn't last long.

Then you fully understand our love for the Teton 5th wheels! memtb

I haul my hotel and my spike camp mobile(atv) with my truck-- I do dirt roads in my 4wd truck - but I wouldn't call it "4 wheeling".

Problem with trucks is that some of the better trails only allow 48" wide vehicles, and the best trails only allow travel by horse or foot. If you can get a full size truck in there--- there will be plenty of other people there too.
20230903_135307.jpg

I have slept in the bed (6.5') of the truck for short trips, but o still either take the atv in then go on foot, or just hoof it the whole way

Last edited:
I haul my hotel and my spike camp mobile(atv) with my truck-- I do dirt roads in my 4wd truck - but I wouldn't call it "4 wheeling".

Problem with trucks is that some of the better trails only allow 48" wide vehicles, and the best trails only allow travel by horse or foot. If you can get a full size truck in there--- there will be plenty of other people there too.
View attachment 550876

I have slept in the bed (6.5') of the truck for short trips, but o still either take the atv in then go on foot, or just hoof it the whole way
You're pulling all that with an F150???

You're pulling all that with an F150???
I knew I'd get slack for that pic but it's not a daily thing-- just a couple times a year like that, but the travel trailer does get single towed about 8x a year for camping trips with the fam.

It's got the hd tow/ payload package (11,200 pound tow rating)- 3.55 gears, 3.5 eco boost--- I've got weight distribution hitch and firetone rear load helper bags with about 12 pounds in them--- but you got to load the trailer right-- gotta watch your tongue weight ratio. Still way under the weight limit for comercial-- can't tow doubles in all states with a regular dl so know your laws. If you look at the pic-- you'll notice that both trailers are pretty much level, and so is the truck-- that's how a rig should sit when you have the right weight distribution and hitch heights.

As far as weight, the trailer max weight cap is 6800 (5800 dry)-- and the atv and little trailer are under 1000-- so even maxed out I'm at 7800 in trailer weight with a max tow cap of 11,200 (70 % of max rating)--- I wouldn't go much heavier though....it has plenty of power still- doesn't even seem to struggle at even 9000' climbing hills. Trailer has elect brakes so stopping isn't an issue either as long as ypu leave proper following distances ( like any good driver should do). Only time I run into problems is heavy side winds

if you know your weights, limitations, capacities, and how to load a trailer for proper tongue weight- it's doable ( but then again I've held a cdl and drove big trucks since 1995 so I'm not really a weekend warrior either)
I wouldn't suggest the combo for most drivers, that's for sure.

At one point in time, I had a 4dr long bed dually diesel with a 42 foot goose neck, and also a 24' boat --- you should have seen the length of that rig--- was still loaded correct but man was she long..

Only stop at truck stops for fuel and food 😁

Besides-- dont yall know the ecoboost is even better than the Creedmoor !!!???

Last edited: