Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

Elevate Your Hunt With An Electric Hunting Bike

By John Murphy Are you looking to cover more ground in a fast, efficient, quiet way? Or are you simply trying to cover the same area that you did...
By ADMIN · Apr 29, 2019 ·
Rating:
5/5,
  1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

ADMIN submitted a new Article:

Elevate Your Hunt With An Electric Hunting Bike

Read more about this article here...

2. Skidoo

Skidoo Active Member

Cool idea, not sure if there legal here in Mt though

3. John Murphy

John Murphy Official LRH Sponsor

In MT, an e-bike is defined as an “electrically assisted bicycle,” so long as the e-bike has a maximum speed of 20mph. The same rules of the road apply to both e-bikes and human-powered bicycles.
    E-bikes are not subject to the registration, licensing or insurance requirements that apply to motor vehicles.

On MT Federal lands, they are still considered motorized are are limited to motorized trails. Here's a link specific to MT current guidelines.

https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/E-Bike-Law-Handouts_MT_Revision_compressed.pdf

4. theodoreh

theodoreh Active Member

How do they compare against bulls e bike with 37V/17.5Ah/650Wh?

I rode a bunch of e bike demos and liked M1 Spitzing the most but it cost a bit more, was considering bull ebike.
    Haven’t heard of mule ebike til now and the walk assist mode sounds like a useful feature for heavy pack out.

5. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

I was going that route, but decided to stay with the peddles,,, its my pack horse on the lower River valleys only...

Super quiet and fast...

Best $4000 Cnd funds spent. Ha...

6. John Murphy

John Murphy Official LRH Sponsor

Bulls make very high offraod ebikes and the hefty price tag to go with it, they also produce about 50 different models so they have something for everyone. What Bulls do really well is build an offroad bike with full suspension built for downhill sport. And they do that better than most.

Not specifically built with hunting in mind it doesn't lend itself to attaching a trailer, rear rack and saddle bags. What the mule by BackCountry eBikes has is exactly that, it's built and designed by hunters for hunters. it has the best motor for hill climbing, large battery (starts at 48V 14.5Ah and goes up to 48V 20.5Ah). it's a hardtail so not full suspension, so it's easier to pull a trailer.
    And the Mule has that walk assist mode so if you don't want to tackle a very steep hill but don't want to push the bike and trailer up the hill, just engage the walk assist and the bike will throttle along a 2,5mph and you just walk along side the bike and it does the heavy lifting. The important thing is getting the right tool for the job.

7. ducky

ducky Well-Known Member

Cool, but not legal where I hunt. I hunt an area where all wheels are banned except on main roads, only feet or hoof allowed on the trails. If I ever change where I hunt I might seriously consider one as I took a fall in 2015 that has limited my mobility due to an ankle fusion. I'd rather use an ebike for the hunt and my ATV for the pack out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  8. scott63

scott63 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the read on the electric bikes as I've been hunting off mtn bikes for about 14 years. I wish I gotten into the ebikes about 10 years ago as it would have opened a lot of territory where I used to hunt. Unfortunately that entire 273k acres is now closed to any activity at all. Not sure how much use my bike will get now.

A couple of things I wanted to mention, one is the spelling of "tyre" seems odd, might want to change that to "tire". The other thing is your dislike for the hub motor bikes. When I was researching ebikes the one thing that seemed to come up a lot is that when people break chains and either don't have a repair link or can't repair the chain due to the break, the mid drive bike is basically a coaster while the hub drive could still be used until the battery was depleted.

While I would only consider myself as slightly above average in regards to being in shape, I have ridden my hub drive ebike while peddling up a 45 degree incline for some distance, where with mtn bikes I would walk that section. I am the type that rides with the bike off or in "1" until I reach an incline, then use the bike motor to help. My hunting partner tries to treat his bike as a scooter, as a result he gets a quarter to half of the range that I do.

The brand I went with was Pedego and I've been very happy with it but I've only had it about 4 years. Unfortunately I only put about 650 miles on it before the land I hunted was sold and is now off limits.

You should name names as far as brands of bike you have used and their pro's/con's in the book.Overall a good read for someone researching ebikes for hunting.
    Best regards
    Scott