Hunting with an 8 foot bed

Looking at a crew cab with an 8 foot bed. How difficult is this long of a truck to hunt with? I know tight spaces and trails and turns, especially turn arounds can be hard. Any thoughts? The 8 foot beds seem to be cheaper too. At least in the used market

I put 450,000 miles on an f350 crew cab with 8' bed, and had zero issues when hunting or just driving dirt roads.

Looking at a crew cab with an 8 foot bed. How difficult is this long of a truck to hunt with? I know tight spaces and trails and turns, especially turn arounds can be hard. Any thoughts? The 8 foot beds seem to be cheaper too. At least in the used market
Not at all difficult for us. We have areas we drive our hunting rigs and side by sides into not trucks. Sure you could take a short box or single cab PU in if you have at least one posi and you don't mind some scratches. I have never seen a crew cab of any bed length on those old two tracks. The big trucks allow us to haul a camp, people, and gear in a single truck instead of a trailer or two trucks. We back them to a wide spot if needed to turn around if road is super narrow. Giving up the useability, trailering ability, and space is not worth a short box to us

I think it has been well covered, but my $.02.

If you have open lands and trails and no big hills or dips, you are good. If it is tight on the trails, your turning radius is much wider with the 8' bed and crew cab. Also, you approach angle is different, meaning you can bottom out or high center on rocks/ stumps or holes much easier as your angles are different for clearance.

^ yes. The high center issue is specifically break over angle. Break over angle is horrible for long vehicles, depending on the complexity of the trail may or may not matter.

It should not be surprising that a 8 foot bed would have a bad departure angle. Pretty much all trucks would have a bad departure angle compared to like a Jeep.

I drove a work truck,8 ft box crew cab. Parking garages were a real experience. My kids have a crew cab with a 5 ft box. I have more space in my Toyota camrey. The balance in my mind is extended cab with 6 ft box. Just my $.02

I have always had 8' beds on my trucks. I have had to travel a distance, hauling a lot of equipment, ice boxes, gun cabinets, ammo, tools, and spare parts. Having enough bed space to put enough coolers in for two elk is a plus. IN the Crew Cab long beds, I took out the back seat and made a large storage box that was removable. One removable box was set up with 2" insulation for use with Dry Ice, storing frozen food for 12-hour+ week-long trips below the USA/Mexican border.

The terrain you hunt in can surely vary, and I would buy a truck for terrain issues and the ability to haul the necessary equipment you will need on various length trips you take. Parking lot considerations are not high on my list as I am not wanting a "street" truck.

When I lived in Arizona, my predator-calling truck was an '83 Toyota 4WD long bed with a camper shell. I sure learned the value of having the necessary tools to repair flat tires and having extra tires with proper off-road jack.

A hunting partner here in the South has a tiny Isuzu Trooper 4WD. A chicken farmer that let him hunt was having trouble with coyotes and he wanted me to come and show him how to call in coyotes, it was the last day of Deer season. We set up in a corner of a field, with pastures 360* around us, back to back. About 7 minutes into the stand, he whispered, "Don't move". I had called in a large buck with the Weems Duo Tone Wild call. He shot the buck, nice 180 lbs. Well, that Trooper vehicle had zero room to put the buck, so we sat him up in the back seat and put a seat belt on him to keep him upright with his horns hard against the roof to keep him upright. I stuck his tongue back in his mouth. We decided to go through the McDonald's drive-through for lunch. I told the girl when we ordered at the drive-through that my deer was thirsty, and I wanted two Large cups of water for my deer. As we approached the window to pay, all the employees gathered in the window to see our pet deer! The girls wanted to come out and pet our deer, but I told them he was getting nervous around strangers and we needed to go.
We had one heck of a good time, and the kids never caught on. The moral of the story, always have enough truck bed.

I think it has been well covered, but my $.02.

If you have open lands and trails and no big hills or dips, you are good. If it is tight on the trails, your turning radius is much wider with the 8' bed and crew cab. Also, you approach angle is different, meaning you can bottom out or high center on rocks/ stumps or holes much easier as your angles are different for clearance.
lets be honest, a f250 will not be able to get over anything bigger than a log

I have a 99, and 2005 crew f350s.I guess the newer ones turn tighter.Ive had my work truck on mtn roads and hate everything about it especially in snow.I have a built Jeep to hunt.My 99 w/Bigfoot is my basecamp, or antelope hunt works.Tow Jeep to elk base camp

Well, if it's a Ford…I'm pretty sure air aircraft carriers turn faster…

Last edited:
I've never used anything but double cab 4x4 pickup with an 8 ft bed for years. First one was dodge 3500 now I have GM 3500. Would imagine if you would try to go down narrow rough goat type trails with trees or possibly larger rocks to maneuver around you won't be happy with the pickup. We pull our 5th wheel, sxs and horse trailers with it. Travel on lots of forest service roads, go to all kinds of trail heads to hike and pack in. Do you at times have to back up some to find a place to turn around, yes, but so far haven't found it to be to much of an inconvenience. Some parking lots can be a challenge. But I usually just go out to the north 40 of the parking lot and usually have plenty of room. I look at these instances as training for hunting, getting a little more exercise and my steps in. Every one has their opinions and 2 cents worth but for us we wouldn't want anything but a crew cab with an 8 ft bed. Good luck with your search for a new rig. Hope you find a good one and are happy with your purchase.

When I got my last truck I wanted a crew cab with a standard bed but the dealer told me they didn't have any in stock, but more importantly, they wouldn't fit in a standard sized garage. I bought one an extended cab with suicide doors. I don't haul people in the back seat but just wanted it for extra storage.

The truck I bought just barely fits in our CO garage (freezer is in front of it and battery packs for solar are on the other side) and our PHX garage (we have another freezer and extended heavy duty shelving). A crew cab with an 8' bed might be a challenge to fit in a garage.

Recent Posts