Hunting with an 8 foot bed

I knew I'd get slack for that pic but it's not a daily thing-- just a couple times a year like that, but the travel trailer does get single towed about 8x a year for camping trips with the fam.

It's got the hd tow/ payload package (11,200 pound tow rating)- 3.55 gears, 3.5 eco boost--- I've got weight distribution hitch and firetone rear load helper bags with about 12 pounds in them--- but you got to load the trailer right-- gotta watch your tongue weight ratio. Still way under the weight limit for comercial-- can't tow doubles in all states with a regular dl so know your laws. If you look at the pic-- you'll notice that both trailers are pretty much level, and so is the truck-- that's how a rig should sit when you have the right weight distribution and hitch heights.

As far as weight, the trailer max weight cap is 6800 (5800 dry)-- and the atv and little trailer are under 1000-- so even maxed out I'm at 7800 in trailer weight with a max tow cap of 11,200 (70 % of max rating)--- I wouldn't go much heavier though....it has plenty of power still- doesn't even seem to struggle at even 9000' climbing hills. Trailer has elect brakes so stopping isn't an issue either as long as ypu leave proper following distances ( like any good driver should do). Only time I run into problems is heavy side winds

if you know your weights, limitations, capacities, and how to load a trailer for proper tongue weight- it's doable ( but then again I've held a cdl and drove big trucks since 1995 so I'm not really a weekend warrior either)
I wouldn't suggest the combo for most drivers, that's for sure.

At one point in time, I had a 4dr long bed dually diesel with a 42 foot goose neck, and also a 24' boat --- you should have seen the length of that rig--- was still loaded correct but man was she long..

Only stop at truck stops for fuel and food 😁

Besides-- dont yall know the ecoboost is even better than the Creedmoor !!!???
No tow police here. You do you. I like the F150 actually. I wouldn't tow that much with it myself though.

No tow police here. You do you. I like the F150 actually. I wouldn't tow that much with it myself though.
No worries, most 1/2 ton trucks are rated around 13,000 tow cap when properly equipped-- I wouldn't have a problem towing my combination with any properly set up 1/2 ton chevy, ford, or dodge

I hunt out of a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab longbed, and have hunted from long trucks for 20yrs.

Just gotta know how to drive it and when to be cautious about where you are going if you are afraid you can't turn around farther up.

I installed softer front coils in my truck and better shocks because the 3500 road like a dump truck. It isn't a RZR but if you are patient you will get where you want to go. Just leave earlier.

Really truck dependant, I've never owned a short box as work requires a real bed length. But the seduction of crew cab diesel short box trucks seems to have caught most my friends....

Late 90s early 2000s ford's were probably the worst. The in laws had one, it was shocking the horrid turning radius. But my families modern long box crew cabs seem nimble considering their size. At the end of the day they're both big, pick what you need and deal.
My lifted 2001 F350 easily turns in a corn field. In a cul de sac? Nope.

Appreciate all the feedback fellas. Seems like it's about 50/50.
The only non negotiable positive is if you ever thought of a truck camper, the 8' bed rules period. Nice pop up style, can tow flatbed with toys easily with less wind resistance, done it for years. I also found some temporary style yard shelters perfect size to throw onto flatbed as additional covered space. That's where snorers sleep! 😂

You can pull as heavy as you want with anything, it's the stopping the load that becomes entertaining.

Amen Brother, that's what I love about our camper….triple axle with hydraulic disc brakes. If you get too aggressive with the gain on the brake controller….you can easily "lock-up" the brakes. That is hard on tires and your wallet…..guess how I know! 🤬 memtb

You already know it takes 2 tugboats to turn it around. I've always had 2500 Quad cab 8' beds and wouldn't trade it for shorter. 2 Ram 2500's since 1996. Still on 2nd one at 201K. Yes, gas.
Pro:
Quad cabs more interior space
Can carry lot more
Long stuff no problem
Great overnight temp camper
Longest cots fit with extra space (6'4" 7' cot easy peasy.
Truck campers fit better plus longer options
Ride better with longer wheelbase
Towing bit better reducing bounce etc

Con
Can land helo on them
Turn ability poor but know that
Garages can be problem
Parking lots interesting
Close quarters interesting in traffic

Me? The positive outweighs the negative for how I use mine.
When we were young, lmao 🤣 EVERY TRUCK had an. 8' bed 🛌 ❤️❗️I have a standard cab Chev and Dodge with 8' beds 😀 99.5% of the time it's only me in them. Love 8'ers