hunting with 165 Sierra GK HPBT 2140

bob4

I've started reloading this for my 300WM. Has anyone ever hunted with this bullet whether you reloaded it or bought it and have any info to share. Curious as to how it does on deer and bigger.
I've only been shooting into wood at this point and only 50yds. But I'm seeing alot of what looks to be the jacket peeled off. I'm sure it's gonna be different on tissue and bone but thought I would ask if anyone has hunted with this bullet.

I use the Sierra 165 gr S.P.B.T.out of a .308 win. and like both the accuracy and effects on deer. Does a good job on deer. My buddy has shot hogs in South Georgia with the S.P.B.T. and loves the performance. I know this is not the H.P.B.T. you are asking about but you might want to try the Spitzer. I have only shot 165 gr Speers in my .300WM. Shot great and killed great. Not sure about the H.P. though. I like a heavier constructed bullet for the .300 WM . My buddy shoots 150 gr Nosler Partitions and loves them. Good Luck

I don't know how to upload links , but have you seen Federal premium's bullet break down on you tube ?

I don't know how to upload links , but have you seen Federal premium's bullet break down on you tube ?
No I haven't. Just copy the link/address and paste it in a reply. Doesn't have to work I can copy and paste it.

Just watched the video. Pretty cool comparison. The Sierra did that on a deer I shot at 82 yds. Went in shoulder( heavy bone) and did not exit. Deer was DRT but I like an exit hole too. For the .300 WM I would shoot a heavier constructed bullet.

My doe at 80 yards with the scirocco 3006 150 gr factory ( bonded )

Attachments

• 20141231_173406.jpg
    20141231_173406.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 149
Thanks all. The video was showing the Sierra soft tip . A bullet which I love in my 270. My reason for trying this Sierra (hollow point) is the soft tips are easily bent out of shape and when loading for accuracy I don't want to see a bent tip. The 2140's do not have the soft lead tip and can't be distorted. Hence my reason for asking about this bullet.

Last edited:
I'm sure you would have the same performance as your 270 round, you might find it more accurate !
I wasn't aware that you hunted with GKs !

I used the 165GKs HPBT out of my M1A a few years ago, had a buck step out at 120 yards. I put one shot thru his right side. Bullet passed straight thru. Exit wound was about the size of a quarter. Buck collapsed at impact, did the straight leg shake on the ground and never moved. I was so impressed with that bullet. I used the same rifle again during a south GA deer hunt and took a buck at 230 yards. One hit , high shoulder and he fell over hard. again not a massive exit wound at all. I think this bullet holds together pretty good and just punches thru deer easy.

Attachments

• hotcoffeedeer.jpg
    hotcoffeedeer.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Actually the Sierra 165 HP is a tougher bullet than the 165 SP in my experience. I shot both bullets for a while in 30-06 and 308. The 165 HP is really an accurate bullet on par with the 168 Match King in my experience. I used to shoot it in my M1 Garand as a practice bullet which was much cheaper than the Match King and switch to the Match King for matches. I also used the 165 HP to shoot a few deer with that M1 and loaded some for my Korean war era Marine uncle who only used an M1 Grand to do all his hunting with. After shooting a couple deer with that bullet he now will not use anything else. Bullet impact results is all relative to the impact velocity. Most any cup and core bullet will come apart if the impact velocity is too fast for it's design. That same bullet within it's proper velocity impact zone will expand but hold together and exit a deer most of the time. It has been in my experience that if you want to have an exit no matter what the yardage is from point blank to 500 or so yards from the average magnum rifle the new bonded bullets like the Nosler Accubond really work good.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your taking the time. Seems like it's worth a try for deer. And I will. In the mean time I emailed Sierra and asked the same question. Here is there reply.
Reply from Sierra said:
I personally use the #2140's in about 3 different 300's on big whitetail. I have yet to recover any of the bullets as they always exit. The ranges that deer have been harvested have been anywhere from 5 yards to well over 300 yards. I have had excellent performance everytime and highly recommend the bullet. Thanks
Sounds good although I wouldn't expect to here a bad thing from them about their own bullet. But they did get right back to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.