165 SST or Interbond

jsthntn247

Just acquired a 20" heavy barreled 308. It shoots the 168 bthp hornady's less than .5" with 44.5 grains of Varget. This will be my primary deer hunting rig, mostly being used for shots less than 200 yards in the woods. I can't decide if the interbonds are worth the extra price, but I don't want the bullets to blow up either. Muzzle velocity is 2560 which is slow and makes me think the sst's would work just fine. Anyone here have any experience with either?

Interbonds are pointless for deer, IMO. More for heavier game. I used SSTs last year and bang-flop on the deer, perfect from my POV. Shoot the lungs, not the shoulders, and you shouldn't destroy too much meat. Just keep it heavy and slower; the explosive effects you read about are at higher velocities like the 300 RUMs these guys shoot, where it's easily 3000+ fps.

I have simular rig setup with 20" heavy barrel. I have harvested deer and hogs with the SST's and no complaints. They work great and are cheaper to load.

I quit using the SSTs in my 30-06s as they were just opening way to fast and making a mess of deer. I have had great luck with the BTSPs and then move up to the Interbonds for elk. Both also shoot to the same POI.

Shoot whichever is most accurate in your gun. If you do a neck shot, it should be bang flop DRT with little meat damage no matter which you use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts