hunting with 165 Sierra GK HPBT 2140

Bob4
I have been using the 165 gr. Sierra gameking, hpbt bullet for Whitetail deer and Groundhogs! I am using a 308 Norma Mag., 26" barrel, velocity at 15' is 3251 fps..

Whitetail Doe at 295 yds., 133 yds., 113 yds., Whitetail Buck 263 yds., 253 yds., this is over the last several years and what I remember at this time.

One Doe went less than 10 yds. (295 yds.), Buck went 40 yds. (253 yds.), the others went down. This caliber and bullet is not always meat friendly, nothing has ran off up to this point in time.

I also use this bullet when hunting Groundhogs with this caliber, not meat friendly on them either.

Hogginking

"Groundhog's" the other white meat!

Bob - where are you hunting for deer? how long are you going to shoot? what rifle and scope?

Bob - where are you hunting for deer? how long are you going to shoot? what rifle and scope?
I hunt in S.C. The range can vary from as close as 25 yds to 300 would probably be max.
Rifle is Rem 700. 26 inch barrel.
Scope is a swarovski Z3 right now but may change that out to something upwards of 3 or 4 -14.

That bullet should be awesome. out of my 300's i only drive the 165s and 168s about 3000 to 3050 fps; Plenty for deer. accurate deadly. roninflag

That bullet should be awesome. out of my 300's i only drive the 165s and 168s about 3000 to 3050 fps; Plenty for deer. accurate deadly. roninflag
Good to know. I'm driving the same speeds you are. At 50 yds so far but my load has the holes toucing. That's all the distance I can shoot at home. I am very lucky I get do do that here before I go off to the range for 100yds+. But I'm sure I'm on track.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.