130gr Hornady SST sub 500?

If you exclusively take standing broadside shots and put them in the boiler room, you're probably going to be fine with a 130 SST. Likewise with shooting at a distance once they've shed some velocity for shoulder shots. Unfortunately, I haven't had a standing shot opportunity at a whitetail buck since the 90's, and have had only shot 2 standing does in that time. I will take a running shot with confidence as that's what I grew up with. Those shots, depending on circumstance, typically land in the neck or shoulder. An SST, or any bullet for that matter, placed in the neck will likely result in drt. However, after a shoulder shot on a running buck at 100 yards, taking the deer off it's feet and watching it slide to a stop in chopped corn stalks, then watching it get up and hop the fence onto a property I didn't have permission to hunt and not leaving a drop of blood anywhere, I will avoid the 130 SST for the opportunities I have. They're not a bad bullet, as long as you realize their limitations. Either take boiler room shots only at reasonably close ranges, or let them shed some velocity before attempting a shoulder shot. I know how frustrating it is to lose an animal, and I've seen similar results in my hunting party with the lighter 30-06 rounds at close range.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the failure to anchor your deer on the SST. That could've happend with any bullet.

Technically, yes, that could happen with any bullet, and most would consider that a bullet failure. The SST simply blew up on the shoulder with zero penetration. A broadside shoulder shot isn't exactly what most would consider a low percentage shot.

The 130gr SST is the bullet we load for my son's 270 WSM. Been very good bullet. Have shot upper midwest deer from 50-400 yards. Bullet has performed VERY well. And accurate. Bullet has always exited with about a quarter size hole on all shots except one tail on shot at 400 yards.

we shoot 1/2" groups with a 12' velocity of 3300fps. Great bullet. Only 270 bullet I shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.