need input on honrady 165gr sst's

I have shot several mulies and whitetails with the SST 165 in my 308 and 150gr in my 270WSM. I have had excellent performance from 50-500 yards. From the bullets I have retrieved, typically retained 50-70 % of weight. Also used the Remington Accutips which are Hornady SST's. In a standard hunting bullet, they have decent BC's and are very accurate in my rifles.

50-70% weight retention in a bullet does not turn me on! If I can't get over 75% retention on all but the worst of shots I don't believe I would be using them. Just sayin!!!

50-70% weight retention in a bullet does not turn me on! If I can't get over 75% retention on all but the worst of shots I don't believe I would be using them. Just sayin!!!

Sounds like you are more of a controlled expansion bullet guy.

I am curios, are you getting better than 70% retaining weight with the Hornady BTSP's you shoot? I don't think I have ever gotten more than 70%, maybe a few times in the mid to low 70's. Those have been on bigger mule deer and elk though.

Scot E.

Yes, I am as you described and if it isn't a passthrough with decent expansion on the exit side, which it is most of the time (like the buck in the picture), normally it's around an estimated 75%-80% weight retention when I find the bullet. I very seldom ever take other than a broadside shot through the ribs on an animal. The one I described on the mulie's right front leg with the SST while quartering toward me was a shot I had to take or he would have been back into thick stuff with no assurance that he would have come back out. My feelings are that if I had shot him with the BTSPs I'm using now that the entry would have been much smaller and it would have driven on into the vitals and even into the left ham. In fact, I shot one good whitetail buck at 225 yards with a SP in a 25-06 years ago down in Texas before Dad gave the gun to me with the same scenario. The bullet entered just inside the right front leg and was found with perfect expansion in the left ham and I'm guessing it had retained upwards of 70% of it's weight. The buck started to go down on his front legs and then ran into the brush. Knowing I had made a good shot on him I went down from the tower blind and kept searching the area for a good 15 minutes or more with Dad because there was no blood trail or tracks in that soil down there and he was found within 50 yards of where he was shot. He had bled out completely inside because of no exit wound and where the small 25 caliber entry hole was located. Those are about the only two animals of many that I have shot that I can think of that I have not shot broadside because of the terrain those two were in and I couldn't chance waiting for a better shot that might not happen. As I mentioned earlier (knock on wood), I have never lost an animal that I've shot, so I must be doing something right! I wish I had better eyesight, but as I am well into my 60s with several eye problems, I now have to limit my shots to under about 300-350 yards to have as close to 100% certainty that the animal will take a fatal hit.

Last edited:
I use them in my Tikka 30-06. I just took my longest shot with them opening day in PA. 257 yards and the deer ran 10 yards, if that with a double lung shot. Great penetration thru both sides with nice big round hole on exit side ribs.

This year shot a buck with the superformance ammo hornady sst 139gr 7mm-08 at 570 yards nov -16. I saw It hit but the deer limped way I could see the shoulder was broke.My friend was muzzle loader hunt this past friday and shot that same buck we skinned it saturday and found the sst in the broke shoulder mess up the shoulder but that was it.But at ranges 0-200 yards they blow up.I will never buy them again.I will reload all the time for that gun now. I know it's not the 165gr sst Just giving my thoughts

I try avoid shoulder shots. Especially slightly quartering. Seen 120gr BT glance off a sika shoulder out of a 6.5x55 under 150yds. I shot a sika doe slightly quartering to me 90yds. The 308 150gr Fed Fusion that normally performed flawless and is quite tough just broke up, went back and one half exited the left flank the other bit exited on the right flank. Had A-max from a 308 break up on a front leg bone and created a shallow wound.
Bullets sometimes do funny things.
edi

I recently purchesed a box of hornady's 165gr sst custom ammunititon from fleetfarm at a great price. My Browning BAR (30-06)shoots dime size groups 100 yards gun)I love it. However there is alot of stories of lack of penetration some have found no internal locking ring to keep the bullet from seperating, some even think that its too soft for whitetails. Where I hunt here in north Minnesota shots are 100 yards or less and the deer I see range from 80lbs field dressed to 170lbs. Hornady says this is a deep penetrating bullet. But those who have used this I seek your personal stories and working knowlege of this round.

Thank you for your input

I have shot several deer with the SST. EVERY one has passed through, leaving the deer to die in it's tracks. Closest was 90yds and furthest was 394yds. All fired out of 308 and 30-06 rifles (for velocity comparison) I have never found any of the bullets, or fragments inside the deer for that matter.

ALL my hunting loads are with the SST I could not recommend it more.

Daves762---What species of deer are you talking about and how big were they to get the performance you are stating? Also, are those factory loads you are using or handloads? Thanks!

Daves762---What species of deer are you talking about and how big were they to get the performance you are stating? Also, are those factory loads you are using or handloads? Thanks!

All Were Large Mule deer and one medium white tail.

Handloads were in 308 @ aprox 2600fps and 30-06 @ about 2800fps.

I imagine I could push them faster but I load for best accuracy not fastest chrony reading...

All exit wounds were quarter to silver dollar sized. Many had broken ribs entering or exiting, or BOTH..

I also handload the 140 gr SST in 270 WSM and have seen two large mule deer shot, both about 200yds away, and both also passed through and dropped them in their tracks. One broke through a front shoulder on the exit.

In my experience ZERO complaints with the SST.

200yds 140 gr SST out of a handloaded 270 WSM Her first buck, on public land in California none the less

Attachments

• D6 Trip 2010 213.jpg
    D6 Trip 2010 213.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 128
270 WSM handloaded with a 140SST at about 230yds Actually the shot was made from inside the hay bales in the backround....

Attachments

• Montana 2010 003.jpg
    Montana 2010 003.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 127
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.