Hunting the Late, Late California Black Bear Season - Pictures

Hey everyone.

Sorry about the delay in posting the ending, but that "computer issue" I mentioned was actually my laptop telling me it was minutes from dying - permanently.
So my laptop, with practically all of the rest of my pictures, is totally toast, though I may be able to recover some of the stuff from the hard drive: I don't know. My dad is the computer nerd, not me. I'm the gun nut.

In a nutshell though, I didn't get that bear. I tracked him until I lost the trail on a rocky granite face, so I climbed that and glassed until dark and had to climb back by clouded moonlight. Fun.

The next day, which was the last day, I said screw everyone sleeping in the living room, and the cars parked behind me, and I left the house an hour before first light. I went to generally the same place and sat and glassed. I sat there in the icy fog (which was freezing to the lenses on my binoculars) for two hours, but all I saw was a little spike at 15 yards, and a dozen or so woodpeckers.
The fog rolled in thick after daybreak, so I crawled behind the rootball of a fallen pine and used the branches to make a small fire and boil some coffee. Then I moved half a mile up canyon and glassed for another two hours.

By then it was almost noon, and people were starting to come into the area, naturally. So I went home, shoveled down some pie and ham, and then drove up to the top of the canyon I was in. I glassed for another hour before the sun started going down and I had to throw in the towel.

So, concluding my 2017 California Black Bear hunt was anticlimactic. All I have to show for it are a few pictures and some lost shoe leather, but that's the way these things go sometimes.

Could you tell me if you need to get your tag validated when you kill a bear in Calif and who is needed to validate the Tag. Was told that you could not move the bear until it was validated, not sure how that works.
My son shot a Black bear around Quincy, California and was told that he had to have a Game Warden Validate the Bear tag. The only issue we had was that the only Warden was 200 Miles away and we would have to go to him for the Validation. Im sorry, but if this is true what we were told its insane. Have no Idea of why a Forest Ranger can Validate your tag at least they are easy to find.................would like to know what is true and want is false

the last time I got a bear in ca any LEO or firefighter could if a game warden was not available and I did not have to leave the bear

read your story about your hunt last nite,WOW great job, Awusome pictures,it felt like I was Walking rite with you , Congrats your a great hunter, so young and so Talanted ,write up all your hunts,some readers here don't have your youth and can live Vicariously through your writing, Regards with thks, jjmp

Hey Trinity...nice story...makes you wonder if you are going to be successful....as we have all chased the elusive "bear"....the one(or anything else that keeps just to the outside on us)....
Where I grew up..on a bright sunny winters day(few on the coast) on a certain part of the hwy just to the west of a town called Coquulle..you could look to the southeast and see the top of Mt. Shasta....probably still can today if the mountains haven't shifted.....lol
Nice story...keep a good log book..not necessarily for hunt info..but something to share later on...who knows..you may be able to rewrite it and add more stories of California black bear hunts..or any other in the future....lots of people do well..pay for their hunting....
But in that area you better keep on the lookout for the next sized foot........it's there somewhere..and if you get away from it..it could be a hell of a story.............

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.