Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

I beg to differ with you, sir, as to your statement "It allows the shooter to practice more at the range." Though one may sit around the campfire and ponder this possibility while studying the coals, the truth is that even though I can afford to go to the range and practice more, I can NOT practice more because I cannot replace my components. And as we are almost all figuring out, without components to reload those practice shots, going to the range is almost unbearable. Or am I the only one that feels this way?
Not for me. I started stock piling in 2011 while I was contracting in Afghanistan. I have about 50 lbs of powder, a couple thousand 180 grain .308 bullets, 1,000 168 grain bullets, at least 5,000 LR primers, and over 1,000 pieces of brass for .308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I planned for this. I'd have a lot more, but I was (and am) on a budget.

Tell the wife it's to protect your hearing. But then you won't have an excuse when you "don't hear her".
The 25mm Bradley Chain Gun already took care of that. I've lost about half of my mid-range hearing due to being a BC on one of them and having to be outside the turret when its fired. It doesn't matter what hearing protection you use, the concussion gets you anyway.

I can't believe that there's so many varied opinions on this. I bought them for predator hunting originally so we wouldn't blow each other's ears out and still talk . Now I run them on everything. Go buy one then decide before you close your mind off. Or not. I really don't care
I've shot them. They have their place, and P-dog hunting is one of them. High volume shooting is another.

Shoot whatever makes you happy and puts em on the ground. I don't have, or prefer, a 6.5 creedmoor. That doesn't mean they're not a useful tool. Neither are my tattoos the same as anyone else's. Reiterating what has already been said, do what you do....... legally and ethically. I always enjoy the exchange of information and ideas on this site, but we must respect that everyone is free to make choices for their specific wants and needs.

The 25mm Bradley Chain Gun already took care of that. I've lost about half of my mid-range hearing due to being a BC on one of them and having to be outside the turret when its fired. It doesn't matter what hearing protection you use, the concussion gets you anyway.
Might as well protect as much as you have left then. Believe me, my time in the Army screwed my hearing up too. I wear double ear pro as much as possible, especially with my big boomers. I need to get some silencers. I have a pistol on the way and plans to build a .22 with a threaded barrel to start it off right.

Just don't need the silencer. I dont agree with them and the ar style rifles. If your hunting animals on 4 legs use a hunting rifle
I think the AR platform has its advantages, but I will respect your opinion on that. The way your response is worded is that anyone using a suppressor is also hunting with an AR platform. I have 5 bolt guns that are "hunting rifles" from 16.5" to 26" in length and all are suppressed. Don't knock a suppressor until you've tried one. Once you have, your opinion about cans may change.

I think some are, but that's ok. Some aren't , too. I just don't need one for me. I also don't want to pay Uncle Sam's tax. I can buy a lot of components with that money.
I would almost guarantee that a large number of "anti-can" folks are anti because of the tax. I'd bet that if that were to go away, sales of suppressors would increase exponentially.

"muffs of any type completely impractical."
Ah,..to each their own. On this year's Elk hunt, I Used a fairly slim pair of electronic muffs that enhanced my hearing, while protecting it when the gun goes off. They were no problem to wear without covering the ears, and then easily moved over the ears when moving into position to take the shot. I could easily hear my hunting partners whispering before the shot. Since hearing protection is recommended for all rifles, whether suppressed or not, electronic muffs may now be a more key component in hearing protection, than putting a can on your rifle. Not saying that they don't help, just that they are not the panacea for hearing loss.

Last edited:
I've read that article and it substantiates my point. I could shoot a 16-18" 300 win mag suppressed with all the benefits thereof or I could shoot a 26-28" 30-06. Hands down, I'd choose to buy an extra barrel when I burn out the 300 win.

Nobody is talking about shooting 1000 yard benchrest with a suppressor. This is a long range hunting website. The objectives and volumes of fire are totally different. That's why people run 30" straight 1.25" diameter barrels on .308 so that they can get excellent barrel life and take advantage of the weight. For most people who hunt, a 30" 1.25" barrel is impractical and unwieldy. It's not relevant to the conversation.

If you'd rather shoot a 30-06 with a 26-28" barrel in the wild over an 18-20" suppressed 300 win mag for the sake of barrel life go for it. Even if they were ballistically equivalent one is going to be way more enjoyable to shoot. There's a ton of people on here who have shared their preference based on experience. Take it for what it's worth and do whatever floats your boat to achieve whatever you want your rifle to do and whatever shooting experience you want to have.
I have a 270 with a 22" barrel a 7mm Rem mag 24" both with suppressors fitted and they're not onerous to use. A built in muzzle brake along with good noise reduction, with my .223 the noise reduction is very impressive. The only non suppressed rifle I currently own is an unmolested 9.3 x 62 Husqvarna with open sights. Chopped barrels are not necessary and in my mind a pointless fad especially for a long range hunting rifle. My opinion only...

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Everyone should be shooting suppressed. They should cost a third of what they do now and you should be able to buy them without any of the BS you have to go through now! 😊