Has anyone else noticed this.

DJ Fergus

Has anyone ever noticed that alot of times when developing a load for a rifle, when you get it into a node and it starts grouping really tight that the recoil seems to push more straight back and the gun really settles down. Recoil seems less violent. Drop or raise charge until the group is opposite of the node with hits scattered and it's noticable to me alot of times that the gun is not pushing straight back anymore and perceived recoil seems to be greater even if charge weight was lowered. I'm just asking this question to see if this is just a mental perception that I have or if someone else has noticed the same thing. It does seem sensible that when your load is right & the harmonics being right, that recoil would be a smoother reaction.

Chicken or the Egg, LOL!
It's probably mental, your holding the rifle comfortably that is making it all work.

Just my 2 cnt's!

This might be what came first chicken or egg story.
You're best groups will be made when the rifle is recoiling straight back and settling back onto the target
Yes, I know what you mean. IvI' noticed this on several rifles during load development as I came up in charge weight, the rifle would settle down. Just so happen to cross through a velocity node at that point.

Yes, I know what you mean. IvI' noticed this on several rifles during load development as I came up in charge weight, the rifle would settle down. Just so happen to cross through a velocity node at that point.
Wouldn't pulling or adding a grain of powder(if possible) in 5 cases, shooting into dirt at 100 yards(no target) and comparing that to your existing load give you the answer?
I think a lot of things happen subconsciously when things are going right, where we tend to notice things or look for excuses when they are not.

Wouldn't pulling or adding a grain of powder(if possible) in 5 cases, shooting into dirt at 100 yards(no target) and comparing that to your existing load give you the answer?
I think a lot of things happen subconsciously when things are going right, where we tend to notice things or look for excuses when they are not.

Not sure. I guess it could be mental. One of my good friends shoots ftr and done lots of winning. He swears the same thing about the rifle setting down when in a node. I Know for sure that if you are opposite of a node, you can't hold it good enough to shoot a group to the rifles potential, won't really matter how good your skill/ technique is. I'm not saying I'm right about my intial post, but how good your skill & technique is only shows up with a rifle that is known to shoot tight. Otherwise you might not know how good you can shoot a particular rifle. If I find a load that I can shoot consistently in the .1 to .3 range from a rifle that develops 30+ ft/lbs of recoil, then I can figure the load and my skill is doing ok but if I'm shooting a rifle with about 12 ft/lb recoil into .1-.3 groups that means my load is good but doesn't necessarily mean I have excellent skill, maybe just decent skill. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just thinking out loud mostly.

Not sure. I guess it could be mental. One of my good friends shoots ftr and done lots of winning. He swears the same thing about the rifle setting down when in a node. I Know for sure that if you are opposite of a node, you can't hold it good enough to shoot a group to the rifles potential, won't really matter how good your skill/ technique is. I'm not saying I'm right about my intial post, but how good your skill & technique is only shows up with a rifle that is known to shoot tight. Otherwise you might not know how good you can shoot a particular rifle. If I find a load that I can shoot consistently in the .1 to .3 range from a rifle that develops 30+ ft/lbs of recoil, then I can figure the load and my skill is doing ok but if I'm shooting a rifle with about 12 ft/lb recoil into .1-.3 groups that means my load is good but doesn't necessarily mean I have excellent skill, maybe just decent skill. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just thinking out loud mostly.
And I am not disagreeing with you either, just from a pure recoil standpoint. Of coarse if your bullet is exiting the barrel at the same point in given harmonics, chances of the whole rifle being in the same position after has to help.

If your rifle is bouncing around you won't shoot good groups regardless of velocity. When you find the "groove" even mediocre loads will improve.

morning, when a person shoots a lot . I for one settle into a
body, cheek weld, posture focus, breathing and mind node. ur rifle becomes one
with u. RECOIL has a lot to with sub conscious node. due we think
about the recoil of the rifle r do we set the mind node of accuracy.
recoil will be constant factor. we persons that shoot a lot shoot for fun.
reloaders shoot for the doctors perfection.lots of fun and
table fair. OURS
justme gbot tum

The only way to test this is via a gun vise and video.

Recently I was a doing a Velocity test and had 6 shots at 400 hit the target in a sub moa group. Es was 140. It's the left upper group circled in yellow

Attachments

• 80F021C5-AD66-4DB7-A072-3A1571E69147.jpeg
    80F021C5-AD66-4DB7-A072-3A1571E69147.jpeg
    899.8 KB · Views: 136
When both the rifle and I are shooting well, (and this may sound weird) it seems the last image in my mind is the crosshairs being on target for a micro second longer before the recoil makes the image disappear. It doesn't matter if its a 300 grain .375 H&H I'm shooting or a 95 grain 6.5. I've tried different set-ups and holds but when it working it's the same picture. I've always written it off to perception.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.