Anyone else swap scopes?

About 7 years ago I was watching a long range shooting video with Todd Hodnett, where he had his students remove their scope and pass it to the guy to the right.

Everyone sighted in and carried on shooting.

Got me thinking.

I gathered up all my $300-$500 scopes (3-9x and higher), vx3's, Vortex, Swarovski, Leica's and a Nightforce and sold them. (Kept all my LPVO scopes)

I bought two VX6 3-18x56 and put one in a LaRue QD mount (for AR platform) and one in Leupold steel rings for bolt actions w picatinny mounts.

Theses two scopes floated between 8-10 rifles for about 5 years.

I don't regret it at all.

I got really good at getting sighted in in 3-4 rounds. Yeah, it was a bit of an inconvenience, but to be able to use really good glass, it was worth it.

Since then I have added another VX6 4-24 and an Arken … just to have an alternate.

Anyone else do this?
No.

On Occasion I would swap out my VX 3 2.5X to 8 X 1 inch tube ,off my Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win. and put on the 4.5X to 14X X . Did that twice, and I realized that one time it was big mistake. Now , in January ,I purchased a VX 5 2X to 10 X on a 30mm main tube , and I think that will be just fine for all my Whitetail hunting on the east coast. I will still bring the 4.5X to 14 X on a 30mm tube along on the hunts as a "back up scope "in case of a fall that damages the scope on the rifle. Hopefully will never need it.

I have switched scopes from time to time, primarily to determine if I was having rifle issues or scope issues. I generally like to keep my zeroing in only needing to adjust a few clicks here and there. Good glass is expensive but keeping in mind that I am retired and on somewhat of a budget this seems a bit extreme to me. Save the money spent on ammo (which is not cheap these days) used to sight in all these rifles when changing the scope back and forth, and buy another scope. ;)
Assuming 3 rounds to zero at $1 a piece I would have to swap scopes 1000 times to save enough to buy a high end scope.

Makes a range day hard when you are trying to test cold bore/follow up on several rifles.

Great idea, but remember, he caters to the "down range" crowd. They typically only have one rifle out with them at a time.

If I could become a one rifle guy, this would make sense. But I get too bored.
Lmao....if you were a One Rifle Guy....it makes no sense at all.....nothing to move too!🤣

I'm of the same thinking. I share a March between my 300wm and 280ai. Then I have an Athlon BTR with a Christmas tree reticle that I plan to swap between a 308 and 22lr for target shooting. My 8.6BLK has a USOptics that's lower super short and no illumination that will stay on that rifle. I've thought about selling everything and getting that Gunwerks Nexus with the swap barrel. I just can't marry the idea of two PRC's. Reality is my 280ai with the March is all I really need and then maybe the 308 for backup if something goes wrong.

Assuming 3 rounds to zero at $1 a piece I would have to swap scopes 1000 times to save enough to buy a high end scope.
👍

My rounds cost $0 a piece because I don't bother keeping track of what the components cost. Buying sucks but them I'm happy when I pull it out to use it so let it be.

I also don't sit there with my spreadsheet and figure out the cost of the barrel degradation with each shot. I guess I could also allocate my range membership, rifle price, the Whataburger I grab every range trip, cleaning supplies, reloading equipment, probably even the fuel cost to get out the range. If I added up everything and figured out that I'm spending $19 a shot I'd probably want to quit the sport 🤦‍♂️ So I don't, I keep shooting, and I stay happy. Easy!

👍

My rounds cost $0 a piece because I don't bother keeping track of what the components cost. Buying sucks but them I'm happy when I pull it out to use it so let it be.

I also don't sit there with my spreadsheet and figure out the cost of the barrel degradation with each shot. I guess I could also allocate my range membership, rifle price, the Whataburger I grab every range trip, cleaning supplies, reloading equipment, probably even the fuel cost to get out the range. If I added up everything and figured out that I'm spending $19 a shot I'd probably want to quit the sport 🤦‍♂️ So I don't, I keep shooting, and I stay happy. Easy!

I don't keep track of it all the time but I do check it periodically to compare to factory ammo to justify the purchase of nicer reloading gear. "Well I've loaded 2,000 6:5 PRC at like $1.50 each compared to $3 for factory so I've saved myself $3,000 to buy a Henderson Trimmer and an AutoTricker V4"

My problem is over the years I've been building up a bunch of MSRs when I find deals on nice parts, then they are nice enough that they should get a nice scope to mount on them and that will just about double the price so I wind up building another MSR instead and have twice the problem.

I just ordered a couple SFWA 2.5-10x ultralight scopes and CAA DVSR mounts so I can have a couple decent scopes to put on MSRs but two isn't enough so I'll be swapping too.

I have a bigger problem with my bolt action rifles, they have OK scopes but really should have top-tier. That's probably going to be a $6-9,000 problem to solve.

I guess a $10,000 problem isn't too bad but if I had an extra $10,000 I would spend it on my house so I don't see a good resolution coming any time soon.

I used then, then got tired of it. I put my good scopes on the guns I shoot the most, sold some of the guns I wasn't shooting to fund more scopes, and put mid tier scopes on the guns I don't shoot much. At the end of the day I gravitate towards a handful of guns, and if I have to swap scopes I shoot the other guns even less frequently.