Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

I've read that article and it substantiates my point. I could shoot a 16-18" 300 win mag suppressed with all the benefits thereof or I could shoot a 26-28" 30-06. Hands down, I'd choose to buy an extra barrel when I burn out the 300 win.

Nobody is talking about shooting 1000 yard benchrest with a suppressor. This is a long range hunting website. The objectives and volumes of fire are totally different. That's why people run 30" straight 1.25" diameter barrels on .308 so that they can get excellent barrel life and take advantage of the weight. For most people who hunt, a 30" 1.25" barrel is impractical and unwieldy. It's not relevant to the conversation.

If you'd rather shoot a 30-06 with a 26-28" barrel in the wild over an 18-20" suppressed 300 win mag for the sake of barrel life go for it. Even if they were ballistically equivalent one is going to be way more enjoyable to shoot. There's a ton of people on here who have shared their preference based on experience. Take it for what it's worth and do whatever floats your boat to achieve whatever you want your rifle to do and whatever shooting experience you want to have.

I've read that article and it substantiates my point. I could shoot a 16-18" 300 win mag suppressed with all the benefits thereof or I could shoot a 26-28" 30-06. Hands down, I'd choose to buy an extra barrel when I burn out the 300 win.

Nobody is talking about shooting 1000 yard benchrest with a suppressor. This is a long range hunting website. The objectives and volumes of fire are totally different. That's why people run 30" straight 1.25" diameter barrels on .308 so that they can get excellent barrel life and take advantage of the weight. For most people who hunt, a 30" 1.25" barrel is impractical and unwieldy. It's not relevant to the conversation.

If you'd rather shoot a 30-06 with a 26-28" barrel in the wild over an 18-20" suppressed 300 win mag for the sake of barrel life go for it. Even if they were ballistically equivalent one is going to be way more enjoyable to shoot. There's a ton of people on here who have shared their preference based on experience. Take it for what it's worth and do whatever floats your boat to achieve whatever you want your rifle to do and whatever shooting experience you want to have.
you are absolutely right 1.25 dia. 30 inch 308 barrels have nothing to do with what I am talking about neither does benchrest. when I said palma that is position shooting only supported with a sling buttplate off the ground, iron sights the barrels are typically .750 at the muzzle ,the reason I used these for an example is that it showes how much advantage barrel length makes for ballistics it also does not require 26-28 inches of barrel length to duplicate ballistics of a short barreled 300 wm

Everyone knows for the most part that longer barrels produce faster velocities, and that different cartridges have different barrel lives. Got it. That's not the point, and has already been discussed at length in this thread and elsewhere. The point people are making (which you are reinforcing) is that depending on the cartridge, you can cut almost a foot off the barrel and still maintain ballistics capable of engaging targets at 1000 yards while simultaneously enjoying all the benefits of a suppressed weapon system in a hunting environment. Some people like that, accept the trade off, and consider it advantageous. Other people have a hard time appreciating that notion.

Just don't need the silencer. I dont agree with them and the ar style rifles. If your hunting animals on 4 legs use a hunting rifle

This forum is called Long Range Hunting, The people who write threads in here write about maximizing their weapon to make very difficult shots . They go to great pains to purchase the absolute best bullets the best barrels , the best reloading components, the best optics, and the services of the best gunsmiths all in the effort of getting the best possible results at long range. Shortening the barrel is very detrimental to all that effort, perhaps some of these can supporters don't realise how detrimental shortening the barrel is to preformance, therefore your ability to make a shot. I don't think Chase realised how much velocity loss their was in an 18 inch 300 wm when he claimed in post 375 that a 18 inch 300 still has 200 fps more velocity than a 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel when that is not true I showed him a very good study in rifleshooter.com that showes the two become very close to the same velocity. As that study shows the loss of 200fps between 24 and 18 inches which changes the wind drift from78 inches to 88 inches at 1000 yds. That is a very real loss and is lessening the chances of a hit at 1000yds. If you consider a 12 inch vital area that only gives you 6 inches from the center of that area to the outside so if your windage call is off by 7 inches you are outside of the vital area , adding 10 more inches to your drift only makes it more difficult to hit your target which is the opposit of every thing written in this forum and surely the opposit of what you want to do if you are serious about hitting targets at long range. shortening your barrel is detrimental to velocity and seriously lessens your ability to make good shots

I think you are missing the point some are making. How quiet is a 16-18" 300 WM we wm when suppressed? To get it tolerable how big of a can are you going to run. To me the smart thing to do would be to run a 20-22" 300 WM, which still gets the vast majority of the performance, and run a smaller can. Think TBAC 5 on a 22 vs TBAC 9 on a 18. Neither will be quiet but one will be 200 ft/sec faster. If you don't want/need the 300 WM performance run a 308 or something on an 18" barrel.

This forum is called Long Range Hunting, The people who write threads in here write about maximizing their weapon to make very difficult shots . They go to great pains to purchase the absolute best bullets the best barrels , the best reloading components, the best optics, and the services of the best gunsmiths all in the effort of getting the best possible results at long range. Shortening the barrel is very detrimental to all that effort, perhaps some of these can supporters don't realise how detrimental shortening the barrel is to preformance, therefore your ability to make a shot. I don't think Chase realised how much velocity loss their was in an 18 inch 300 wm when he claimed in post 375 that a 18 inch 300 still has 200 fps more velocity than a 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel when that is not true I showed him a very good study in rifleshooter.com that showes the two become very close to the same velocity. As that study shows the loss of 200fps between 24 and 18 inches which changes the wind drift from78 inches to 88 inches at 1000 yds. That is a very real loss and is lessening the chances of a hit at 1000yds. If you consider a 12 inch vital area that only gives you 6 inches from the center of that area to the outside so if your windage call is off by 7 inches you are outside of the vital area , adding 10 more inches to your drift only makes it more difficult to hit your target which is the opposit of every thing written in this forum and surely the opposit of what you want to do if you are serious about hitting targets at long range. shortening your barrel is detrimental to velocity and seriously lessens your ability to make good shots
I'm not sure what an 18" 300 WM does but my 22" 06 throws a 200 gr SGK at 2700 ft/sec. I think he's just never reloaded 30-06

Just don't need the silencer. I dont agree with them and the ar style rifles. If your hunting animals on 4 legs use a hunting rifle

My son works with a gentleman that says pistols are only used for killing people and that we shouldn't have them. I don't agree with him or you but I respect your choice to not use a suppressor or AR style rifle. Personally I think an AR style rifle is the perfect coyote hunting rifle and suppressors, like mufflers on cars, should be standard equipment.