Hunting optic….strict $300 and 28 ox weight limits

Where are these manufactured?
Unless it has changed, SHVs are in China and the EPs are in Japan.

Arken scopes.JPG

Arken Optics.JPG

Last edited:
Just wondering what is a us made optic in the lower end? I know leupold but other then that what choices do we have ?

Leopold doesn't make a scope that works properly at any price point. Buy one and see for yourself.
I currently have 9 Leupolds on guns ranging from 22 LR to 300 WEA and not had any issues with any of them. The optical clarity and light weight make them some of my favorite hunting scopes. One of those is a Freedom that is mounted on a Ruger MK 2 in 350 Rem Mag. I've not had any problems with it holding zero. I should note that I have many other brands of scopes that I regularly use with little, if any issues. Some years ago I borrowed my son a pair of my Leupold binoculars that he promptly dropped on the concrete knocking them out of alignment. I sent them back to Leupold, and they repaired them free of charge. They have some of the best customer service out there.

This is ridiculous. Cheap scope with a ton of features is going to end up a broken scope with no good warranty. The best suggestions I've seen here are the Burris or the Sightron, which is my suggestion. Keep it simple, beware forum experts with no real time on the product. I gave my STAC to a pal who used to manage Jarrett Rifles. It sits on his 6.5x47 and he loves it. Either get a common sense product at that price point or wait until you can afford better.
What do I know? I'm about to put a mk6 3-18 on a spare parts rifle. 😂

Edit: I ran that STAC on a rifle out past 800y on steel. Hunted dawn/dusk and engaged 4 animals at distance. Always tracked, always clear, great turrets and mag ring. Reticle was easy to use For holdovers on game out to 350 or so. Very light. Great warranty.
I used to run an S3 10-50 on my FTR many years ago. Broke it and had it repaired within two weeks. Same for an S3 1-7.
Yep. I've run an STAC on many rifles 3-16×42. It's been moved from rifle to rifle alot...all hard kicking magnums. Never an issue. The turrets are very reliable. I actually use this scope for load development as it's proven to be so reliable at holding zero and accurate adjustments. For the $$$ this is a no brainer.

I blame Austin and Yeti, dang yuppies!
My experience with Chinese factories is they have the capability to produce fine products. The same factory might be produding for various customers, and the quality of each depends solely on the customer.
Having said that, I prefer products manufactured in countries such as US, Germany, Austria, Japan, (IOR in Romania) S. Korea and now Philippines. Just my preference. I probably have one or two Chinese scopes.

My experience with Chinese factories is they have the capability to produce fine products. The same factory might be produding for various customers, and the quality of each depends solely on the customer.
Having said that, I prefer products manufactured in countries such as US, Germany, Austria, Japan, (IOR in Romania) S. Korea and now Philippines. Just my preference. I probably have one or two Chinese scopes.

I have one Chinese scope and I won it from Doug, can't bring myself to mount it yet just knowing where it was manufactured.

Leopold doesn't make a scope that works properly at any price point. Buy one and see for yourself.
I have used Leupold scopes for 51 years all over the western US, BC and Alaska and had never had one fail me, to say I am a test mule is an understatement because many times these scopes were literately on one of my 4 legged mules in a saddle scabbard. I have fallen with them in the lava beds in southern New Mexico, fallen in snow and dirt, banged and beat them in trees and had one mule slide down the mountain in the mud with 6x42 on top of a 338 win mag and have never had one loose its hunting zero- I have sold hundreds in my shop and can only recall two that I have sent back, one was a lighted reticle issue and it went back twice. I am not Leupold only guy, I have and use Nightforce, Zeiss, one S&B ( nice glass but can buy two or three others for the price of one ) but the ones I have had are very dependable. My two cents

I have used Leupold scopes for 51 years all over the western US, BC and Alaska and had never had one fail me, to say I am a test mule is an understatement because many times these scopes were literately on one of my 4 legged mules in a saddle scabbard. I have fallen with them in the lava beds in southern New Mexico, fallen in snow and dirt, banged and beat them in trees and had one mule slide down the mountain in the mud with 6x42 on top of a 338 win mag and have never had one loose its hunting zero- I have sold hundreds in my shop and can only recall two that I have sent back, one was a lighted reticle issue and it went back twice. I am not Leupold only guy, I have and use Nightforce, Zeiss, one S&B ( nice glass but can buy two or three others for the price of one ) but the ones I have had are very dependable. My two cents
That's impossible according to the experts on LRH, LRO and Rokslide. Leupolds lose zero just riding in the back seat of a truck according to them. 🤪

Every Leopold and Vortex I've ever personally owned won't hold zero or track reliably. Ever wonder why so many hunters spend time making sure their scopes are "still" sighted in? Because they won't hold zero and require constant adjustments.

Like you hear all the time, "make sure you check your zero after traveling, airlines ect." Why ? Because your junk won't maintain zero in a padded hard case?
That's impossible according to the experts on LRH, LRO and Rokslide. Leupolds lose zero just riding in the back seat of a truck according to them. 🤪
It's true, sad, but true.

Every Leopold and Vortex I've ever personally owned won't hold zero or track reliably. Ever wonder why so many hunters spend time making sure their scopes are "still" sighted in? Because they won't hold zero and require constant adjustments.

Like you hear all the time, "make sure you check your zero after traveling, airlines ect." Why ? Because your junk won't maintain zero in a padded hard case?

It's true, sad, but true.
That's not been my experience with Leupold and I've owned a lot of them.

Vortex is another story and maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm currently trying one of the Razor LHT 4.5-22 scopes.

We will see.