Hunting Montana

cycbb486

If I wanted to go hunting in Montana for Mulies, is it required in the state that I use a guide? If I am not mistaken some guys that I know from Manitoba have gone in the past without a guide. They used one for a year or two then headed out on there own. What are the costs of licensing or can I be directed to a site. One of the hunts I must do in my life is a mulie hunt in the foothills of Montana.

Calvin

Calvin,

You do not need a guide to hunt in Montana if you are an out of state resident, at this time anyway. They are trying to pass that law though.

I believe a non resident deer tag is a bit over $200 but not sure.

There is alot of public land in Montana to hunt but it can be frustrating until you learn the area. If you know someone that knows the land to initially go with you will be many years ahead!! This is why many will hire guides even on public land. That way they learn the ins and outs of the country much quicker.

Kirby Allen(50)

You do not need a guide. Your deer tag will run you around $300.00 not $200.00. There is no law being discussed that I know of to require a guide in the future. Even if it was proposed I doubt it would pass. Eastern Montana is the best place to hunt mule deer. The down side is that it's nearly all private, but through what is called the Block Management Program, you can gain access to more land than you can hunt in a season. If you want to know more about Montana's Block Management Program follow this link.
http://fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/hunteraccess/blockman/default.html

I have to agree though, that the best way to start out is either with a guide or a local willing to take you out. Feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like. I'll do what I can to help answer them.

The only thing I would add is that you have to enter a drawing to get a non-resident buck deer tag.

There are several hunting regions where you can get a doe tag over-the-counter.

Also, as a nonresident (like me), you probably won't draw the first year. Buy the bonus point offered and you have a very high chance of drawing in the second year. If not then, with two bonus points you are almost guaranteed to draw (so the Game Dept. has told me). I have one point now, so hopefully will draw next year. Another good thing about eastern Montana is that the season goes into Novermber so you can hunt the mule deer rut IF you can put on enough clothes if the weather turns cold and/or snowy with the late season! Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought maybe you'd like a little update. Here's how things went for my oldest boy (age 15) this morning in eastern Montana. Pretty darn nice buck for a kid, then again I think he had a pretty decent guide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
MuleDeerAaronSmallerFront_original.jpg

Big Sky, Nice buck. What part of "eastern" Montana do you usually hunt in if its not giving your private spots away? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have a lodge here in SW Montana near Gardiner. Although most hunters come here for the elk, there are a lot of mule deer here too. I've had as many as 12 mulies in my front yard at once. We've also had moose in the yard and a hunter took a bison a few days ago between here and Gardiner. There is a lot of national forest land here and I'm only about 2 miles from the Absoarka Beartooth Wilderness. So don't rule out this area for mulies.

Elkhunter1983, What size bucks are in your area? I agree that you are known for elk, but never assume!! Is there alot of the block hunting in your area, or what type of access? Be real interested in your ideas since I'm probably going to be hunting in MT next fall myself. Thanks.

Wapiti13,
Of the deer I've had in my front yard only 2 were bucks. One was a spike and the other was a 3X4. I've seen some real nice bucks about 15 miles north of here along hwy 89. It's mostly ranches in that area (Paradise Valley) and the longest shots might be in the 400 yd range. I've seen a couple of bucks there with some real nice headgear. I didn't stop and scope them out but they looked to be 5X5's. One had a real tall rack and the other was wider, maybe in the 26" to 28" range. Both had real nice mass. We also have elk, black bear, moose, and bison here, not to mention the wolves and grizzlies.

Wapiti13,
I got so wound up talking about the deer I forgot to answer your question about the hunting access. If you hunt the national forest land, access is no problem and neither is the Absoroka/Beartooth Wilderness. The ranches would be by permission. Incidently, those fields where I saw the bucks generally had any where from 30-50 deer in them within probably 200 yds of the road. If you plan on hunting right around where I am, a 4x4 would be helpful but not necessary unless you follow the trails up as far as you can go (about 8500 ft) or unless you hunt after the snows come.

Wapiti13, of course you are free to choose anywhere you'd like to hunt, but if it were me (remember I live here) I'd hunt the eastern side of the state if mule deer were the priority. If elk are a priority then hunt the western side like was mentioned. It depends on which animal is more important to you. Here's some bucks from this season. It's been rumored I just might have a clue what I'm talking about when it comes to mule deer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
DeerSkullsTroyBest_original.jpg

Here's another nice typical.
MuleDeerGarySchaff_original.jpg

One more very nice non-typical just to keep your blood flowing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
MuleDeerKory_original.jpg

Don't count out NE Montana for some quality whitetails too! These pics are of deer all taken all in Sheridan County (It doesn't get any more North and East than this!)

JamErv2000.jpg

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.