hunting bullets for 7mm STW

Tron, you will enjoy the 160 Accubonds. I have been shooting them for years in my 7mm RemMags and 7mm STW. They are excellent for deer-sized game.

I don't have any load data for Viht....That stuff is high-dolla' down here in Alabama...About $55-60 / lb. I'd love to try some, but not at that price. I can buy 2 lbs of H1000 for 1 lb of Viht.

If you'd like H1000, RL19, or RL22 load data, I can get you that when I get home this evening...

The vit data I have is incomplete but with vit 560 ( vit. flyer from 2002) the 7 weatherby tops at 69.8 grains with vit 560. Vit. has no data for the 7stw in my data. The new hornady data for the 7mmstw shows v 165 at 67.3 grains start and 76.5 tops with their 162 grain bullets. Since v 560 is slightly faster than v 165 but the stw has more capacity and equal pressure to the 7 roy I'd start at the top roy charge of 69.8 grains ( or slightly lower) and work to 98-99% or so of the v165 max from the hornady data.

If the Hornady is working you might give their bonded version a try as well as the older 162 Interlock SPBT. I used that bullet in my standard 7 RM for quite a few years and it worked well even on our little, by comparrison, whitetails. I put one through the front of the onside shoulder of one of my best bucks, and it exited out behind the offside as he was quartering slight. It simply dumped him on his nose. meat damage was minimal.

Out of dozens of feral hogs, depending on the range, I have found that where you hit them will determine the extent of the damage. They are heavier boned, and the hide is akin to hitting a thin sheet of plywood. It never fails to impress me with the longer shots to hear the resounding slap when the bullet arrives. That hide usually coupled with the shield on the bigger boars is really tough on most any bullet, but the Hornady's usually hold together pretty well. I have had some up close trim jobs but it wasn't the fault of the bullet.

I would at least give them a look, especially if the A-Max is already working.

160 grs accubond load found.
I was at the shooting range testing some loads today. Startload was 71 grs vv n560 oal 93 mm. This load also gave the best 3 shot group (10-15mm), speed 935 m/s.Hunting season starts 10.august so i'll come back with report how it works on animals then.

Hello STW shooters!

I am going to load some hunting ammo for this autumns deer,red deer and moose hunt. But i don't know with what bullet yet.
I want minimum meat damage, good effect and the range is from 100-600 meters.
I hope someone in here have any advise.
Barnes,berger,swift,norma,nosler,sierra or hornady?
I use 162 grs amax for target and their going great in the rifle.(rem cases,fed215,73grs vith n560)
The rifle is a Sako 75, 1-9,5 twist.

Any bonded bullet 140 grs or heavier or any Barnes TTSX bullet 120 grs or heavier.

I am looking forward to trying the Nosler AccuBond Long-Range Rifle Bullets and hopefully they will do well in my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I have the 150 grain and the 168 grain bullets coming and will be testing them

Hopefully they will surpass the love I have for the 140 grain and the 160 grain regular Nosler Accubonds that I have shot.

I shot 14 deer last year with mine using 150 ballistic tips and I dont think a deer took more then one step. Shots were from 200-500 yards. Meat damage was minimal with behind the shoulder shots. I dont see a need to even try developing a load for a differnt bulelt.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts