Hunt Weather and All It Can Throw at Us

Muddyboots

We have all experienced it. Weather had thrown us a nasty curve while traveling to, from or while we are hunting. I've been caught on interstates with howling blowing snow with icy road conditions beyond belief and have taken shelter at rest stops for hours waiting it out, have had 3 different bug outs while on mountain to escape heavy snows cutting season short, blizzard conditions, fog so bad had to get off and wait it out since couldn't see end of hood of truck, rain so hard that sounded like thunder on roof of truck. Is there anything worse than icy fog? I once had a flood take out a bridge and had to detour hours around it in traffic backed up for miles. That was fun. Drive down from Grand Mesa 3 days early from snow bug out and drove with doors open since we were sliding good chunk of way and the edge was huge drop below. Even the chains on didn't really help much being pushed by flatbed with 3 quads on it with top layer of clay under the deep snow acting like fresh goose snot. How many times waking up pushing snow off tents to prevent collapse? And the cold, hunted one 4th season in CO and it probably didn't get above -10 at night which was a test for sleeping bags and how much wood we had. I have been lucky and never had to be pulled out but been real close couple times. Have had to pull so many out that lost count.

Many years ago I pulled off into a truck stop in blizzard conditions, climbed into my pop-up truck camper, slid into sleeping bag, and said gonna wait it out. Woke up literally 8 hours later. Sun shining, roads cleared, got breakfast, well rested and drove straight through back home. went from worse ride to best ride just by a decision to pull off.

So I bet there are some really good weather OH Crap stories to share!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.