howa 1500 build

The Nosler 48 is a clone of the Howa 1500, great actions. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with metric threads. Don't even think about trying to convert them over.

I'm in the process of building a rem 700 and now my howa 1500 in 30-06 has got me wanting to improve on it also. ...Any info is much appreciated.

My shpeal on the Howa action:
The book to get is "Bolt Action Rifles" 4th edition by de Haas.
Modern Firearms + Amazon webstore - Bolt Action Rifles

The 98 Mauser has:
1) flat bottomed receiver to take torque from rifling
2) controlled feed
3) claw typed extractor
4) safety on firing pin, often modified to be 2 or 3 position M70 type
5) multi stage gas filter on firing pin hole for safety
6) bolt handle is integrally forged as part of bolt body
7) safety lug below rear bridge
8) integral recoil lug
9) knife ejector in bolt lug slot
10 an inner C ring to put the tenon threads in compression

The rem 700
1) receiver made from round tubing
2) push feed
3) little wimpy extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle tacked on with screw and solder
7) nothing for safety if bolt lugs fail.
8) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
9) plunger ejector
10) No inner C ring, so the only thing holding the barrel to the receiver is the tenon threads in tension

Of the ~100 bolt action covered in the above book, they seem to all be on the spectrum somewhere between the simple Rem700 and the complex 1898 Mauser design.

The Howa 1500:
1) flat bottom receiver
2) push feed
3) short claw extractor is bigger than rem, but smaller than M98
4) three position bolt safety
5) simple bolt
6) Integral bolt handle
7) nothing
8) integral recoil lug
9) plunger ejector

I would give the Howa Mauser scale = ~50% Mauser
I would give the Howa Rem700 scale = ~50% Rem700

It's a fine action design. Metric or not.

The Vanguard and 1500 come from the same castings/forgings. Maybe even the Nosler 48. Machining and fitents are not the same. Timney triggers machines 2 trigger mounting holes, one VG one How's. Other little differences. The Vanguard has Weatherby case blowout vents. Little things.

change your 30-06 to a 6.5-06 AI

I bought a used Howa 1500 in 270win that was like new, for really cheap, a few years back. It was a nothing special model with a cheap plastic stock and a thin little sporter barrel. I got it for cheap and only wanted it for the action anyway, so I shed no tears when everything else was dumped in the trash.

I gave it to my dad who had it turned into a 6.5-06 Ack Imp. The smith hung a new Lilja barrel, installed a Timney trigger and fit it to a new Manners T2 stock. I'm pretty sure he did some amount of blueprinting to the action but I don't think the smith did a full on blue print job.

My dad has quite a few different customs and semi customs but his 6.5-06AI built on that Howa 1500 action, easily shoots as well as his other builds and will out shoot most.

anyone ever try to build a a 7 MM RM on a V or V2 action. I have seen a couple of these for sale locally for really good prices..... E

So far I've only used short actions but long actions are on the list to replace all R700 based builds in my safe.

IIWM go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.