Howa 1500 trigger

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bugle-em, Mar 30, 2014.

1. bugle-em

bugle-em Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Trigger mod just did it polish the face and removed some materal to make the safety work properly still not the same as my Jewell's . Looking at Jared or Timney .to get to 1.5# with little to no creep any one running the Jared or the factory up grade trigger?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    I've got a Timney on a Vanguard action and the factory trigger on 2 S&W M1500s (both the same as Howa). I can not tell the difference between the 2 other than i was able to tune the factory trigger down to about 1 lb and the the Timney to 1.5 lbs. I like the Timney for its 3 position safety. I have been able to fairly easily tune several Vanguard/S&W M1500 (old style) triggers to a very nice and crisp 1 lb or so pull without any honing.

That said, the Jewel on my 700 action is a step above, but Jewel does not make triggers for the Howa actions.

I am very satisfied with the Timney and factory triggers I have.
  3. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I have 3 Timneys and 2 Rifle Basix triggers for the Vanguards. Of the two I generally prefer the Timney if for no other reason than the 3 position safety. In use, they feel about the same.

I have tried doing the trigger mods from this forum on several Vanguard triggers. Generally I have a 50% success rate on being able to get the pull down to 2 pounds, remove all of the creep and have the safety still work. Frankly I now tend to wait to find a sale on a Timney and buy that instead.
  4. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    +1 for the Timney. I live 30 min. from Timney, just call in the morning, give model and pull#'s and pick up in the afternoon. Like the three positions and the Timney support is the best online or by phone.