Howa 1500 action question

mort9687

I have a weatherby vanguard s2 in 257 why mag. I'm not really in love with that quarter bore. My question is, can I rebarrel it to .338 edge? Will the action be strong enough to handle that much force?

Yes it will easily handle the pressure. If you study the cartridge pressure limits you will find very little difference between them, 63,xxx psi. The Vanguard action is chambered in cartridges that run at 65,000 psi (270 win)
Cliff

Last edited:
The Vanguard/Howa 1500 action is plenty strong enough. The magazine box is too short and of the wrong shape fro the UM cartridges,,,, it'd be a single shot without extensive modification.

I have a weatherby vanguard s2 in 257 why mag. I'm not really in love with that quarter bore. My question is, can I rebarrel it to .338 edge? Will the action be strong enough to handle that much force?
I am very fond of the Vanguard action, I have 4. 3 shorts and a long. Very strong. The shorts all have Pac-Nor barrels in their upgrades. The long, not sure which barrel or chambering. Perhaps the Proof Research barrel in 28-Nosler.

I also love the Mark V action. 3 6lug and lots of 9 lugs.

IMO the Vanguard is too short for an Edge, I built my Edge on a Mark V action.

Now if you want to build a 338/26-Nosler you are golden. It is not quite an Edge but it sure ain't bad. I have performance numbers if you want them.

Other long range options in 30cal for that action are 300WM, 300Wby, 300/338WM. Of course my favorite 30-Nosler or more specifically 308/26-Nosler.

On the 338/26-Nosler or 33-Nosler, the sweet spot in bullet weight will be 250s. Performance falls off rapidly after than.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.