Howa 1500 6.5 saum feeding problem

Blacktail

I picked up a 6.5 SAUM for my son that sits on a 1500. Took it out today and shot decent but feeds awful. Basically if 2-3 rounds are loaded into the mag minute bolt clears top 1 or even 2 rounds pop out the rifle. I was able to load two and if cycled quick enough will work. 3 rounds with bolt closed on an empty chamber is really tight. even if I load three 1 in chamber and two in magazine and fire the one round as I cycle the bolt the second round pops right out the magazine. A smith recommended the ptg box and aics magazine. Wondering if or which magazine will even work with these fat 6.5 saum cartridges or should I just try a new follower and spring? Thanks I am kind of panicked as this is my sons bday gun for 6/17 trying to get it dialed for him. thnx

I had something similar with a 300 win mag after I changed stocks. I was able to bend the magazine feed lips very slightly and that was enough to hold the rounds in.

I'm contemplating or would like to go to DBM setup but don't know if I can find a magazine these fat 6.5 Saum rounds

Was this 1500 originally a WSM? If not, you have magazine problems. Just take a look at how Rem deals with this. Different mag box for the fatter cartridges. Different follower , for the fatter cartridges. If your action isn't set-up for the fatter cartridges you will have the problems you are experiencing. I will be out in my shop later today and I will check-out some DM I have with WSM brass and relay the results. "Center feed" would cure a lot of the feeding problems when using an action NOT specifically designed for the cartridge you are trying to feed.

Was this 1500 originally a WSM? If not, you have magazine problems. Just take a look at how Rem deals with this. Different mag box for the fatter cartridges. Different follower , for the fatter cartridges. If your action isn't set-up for the fatter cartridges you will have the problems you are experiencing. I will be out in my shop later today and I will check-out some DM I have with WSM brass and relay the results. "Center feed" would cure a lot of the feeding problems when using an action NOT specifically designed for the cartridge you are trying to feed.

++++++ on the above.

I am thinking it wasn't based on not only the feeding issue but how extremely tight it is trying to load three in the magazine. I def like the idea of a DM!! I just can't seem to find any with a mag that I think would handle the fat cartridges. Everything I see is for .308. I wouldn't think that would work. I was going to cal PTG Tuesday

Good luck with calling PT&G . Their customer service is non-existent and no one who answers the phone knows anything...……. You are trying to cram too much cartridge into too small of a magazine. Those cartridges are so fat mag capacity is suffering. You can only fit so many in a given space, and you don't have that 'space' if you're trying to use a magazine designed for .308 class cartridges.

Exactly! I've found the ptg mag conversion and see AICS makes a mag that will accept 300 wsm cartridges but not sure if that mag will fit in the stealth conversion?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.