700 feeding problem

Pat Byrne

With most cartridges I don't have issues with feeding.. Have several 700's and even more clones, Stiller's, etc. Been messing with them a long time.

This is a problem I've encountered before. It's a 7-08 Ackley. Currently it has a Wyatts box in it, needs it because I'm have to load longer than 2.85'' for best accuracy. The rear of the cartridge stack sits a little low allowing the bolt to ride over the top and not pick up the top round in the magazine. Happens often from either side.

Is there a fix for this ? I'd prefer to stay with the BDL set up.

Thanks for any input on this nagging problem!

When installing the extended mag box you need to open the rails at the back of the mag box. Just match the existing profile of the feed rails. This will allow the cartridge to set high enough to get picked up by the bolt.

Careful, you can't put the material back as easily as removing it.

Agree with the above comment. But also check the follower for binding. I've had to file and Polish the fronts of followers many times to get them to push the front of the round up, maybe you're having a similar problem

Check the contact of the shell in the magazine at the neck shoulder junction. Most AI cases have less taper in the case body, Check the cartridge may have a pivot point on the shoulder area and the spring is not bringing the base of the cartridge up so the bolt will strip it out of the magazine.
The magazine lip geometry may have to be changed so the base will raise up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.