How to shrink the high node?

Highvoltage

Been working up a load for my 300 win. I have a load that shoots under an inch (3shots) at 200 yds and a load that shoots 1.5-1.75" at 200 with 2 gr more powder ( higher node). I've loaded .2 gr on both sides of the upper node hoping to shrink it down but groups really open up 3-4". My question is the lower node runs 3030 and the upper runs 3140. Is it possible to shrink that faster group. It's a 165 ballistic tip h4350 loaded 20 thou off. Im gonna try 10,20,30 thou seating test at 200 to see if that will bring it in. Like I said the lower node shoots incredibly well, just scratching my head to dial in the upper node. Any advice would be appreciated. Btw I'm in the process of trying the ballistic tips with reloder 16 as well to see how that goes. Best wishes

Honestly, your choice in powder is on the way too fast end for the 300WM.
H4831 produces the same velocities as H4350 with LESS pressure.
I would be trying 7828, H1000 or RE25 before I chose H4350 for the 300. The only time I ever used H4350 in any of my 300's was with 150gr BT's at well over 3350fps.

To tune the high end node, you need stable pressure, this may not be the case with H4350, it becomes erratic at max pressure.
You make no mention of ES/SD figures with those velocities you quoted, so who knows what that high node is doing or if it is a node at all.

Cheers.

What's your SD/ES of the "high node"
As well as .2gr. higher & .2gr lower ?
If those numbers are wonky (wide) & the Fact groups Opened up, you may be able to tighten with seating but the load may be Finicky to environmental factors?

I'd pick a charge in the middle of the lower node where ES/SD is (Tight) more stable in a wider +or- .2 or .3gr. range.
Run a seating depth test & run with it.

Also check final load at distance.

Last edited:
I recently saw this with my .300 Win Mag also. Shooting Berger 210 vld's and RL-26 the Magnetospeed indicated a narrow node at the upper velocity end slightly above 3100 fps with seemingly low ES. However, the rifle just did not agree with it for whatever reason as I kept getting fliers. I backed down to the lower node (@100 fps less) and all was well. I'll trade 100 fps for CONSISTENT accuracy any day! Good luck with it.

Like most shooters on here we're always looking at every way possible to shrink our groups, most times I feel as though I'm on to something then it falls apart. As far as H4350 goes I have multiple lbs and it's a powder in the nosler guide, it may not be the best choice for a 165 but I figured I'd give it a shot and right out of the gate looked very promising. I just was looking to see if folks have run into this and aborted the higher node or tuned in a different manner to dial it in. Again the lower node is under 1/2 moa and I'll shoot that if the reloder 16 doesn't give me what I'm looking for either. Thanks for the advice.

It's not uncommon for rifles not to shoot the best at the highest velocity.

Lots of factors mentioned above what's your ES?
Are you really in a node?
Did you do seating depth test first?
If your interested in high velocity you would be better off switching bullets. BT are not the best for 3100+ FPS.
Shoot the group at 500-600 and see what it does

The chronograph was giving me a fit that day, would read some shots and error on others. The ballistic tips are what I'm practicing with then switching to accubonds for elk this year. I won't be hunting at extreme long range but I'd like to be good to 500-600 yds. My shots have been inside 450 yds so far.

If you can find RL-23 give it a try. Speeds won't be as high as some of the slower powders but with the bullet weight you shoot you could be pleasantly surprised. You won't be far off on fps and it is available.

ETR

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.