How to measure scope hight and center of bore

the beast

I am brand new to long range and I am trying to figure out a ballistic program and they all ask the scope hight and center of bore. How do you measure or the best way to measure this and any suggestions on a ballistic program. I've look at several and now I'm more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how I measure this is I open the bolt part way so it's even with the ocular bell of the scope . then I just measure from the center of the bolt to the center of the ocular lens using my caliper . "don't scratch the glass " measure it a few times to be sure your getting a good repeatable measurement . this input does not require an extremely precise measurement . get it as close as possible and you'll be fine .

Let's see if I can get this correct:

Measure the distance from the top of scope end bell to bottom of barrel then subtract (1/2 the diameter of the scope end bell + 1/2 the diameter of the barrel where the scope end bell was measured.)

Stock must be removed to do this.

IF: scope mount is canted some fudging may be necessary when fine tuning drops.

HTH

lightbulb
Set your scope on lowest power.
Clamp the rifle in something like a barrel vise.
Move the rifle into position so the muzzle comes in contact (or nearly in contact) with a wall. A dark colored wall in a moderately lighted space works well.
Run a cleaning rod with a pointed jag down the barrel until it contacts the wall and leaves a mark.
Don't move nothin'
While you look through the scope, run a piece of white paper up the wall in front of the scope until its bottom edge lines up with the scope's horizontal cross hair.
Mark the wall where the paper was when that condition appeared.
Measure the distance between the pointed jag mark and the paper edge mark and you've not only got the distance you need you've got it to the closest degree of accuracy you could ever need.

I am brand new to long range and I am trying to figure out a ballistic program and they all ask the scope hight and center of bore. How do you measure or the best way to measure this and any suggestions on a ballistic program. I've look at several and now I'm more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/fFrNrhqcEiQ?t=10[/ame]

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts