.223 how heavy to follow in scope?

pizzapaiute

I'm looking for a new .223 varmint rifle. I want something that is heavy enough to sit still from a bench so I can watch the shots hit. Im in Calif so I don't think I can have a threaded comp on the barrel. I'll be using a bipod. What's the opinion of this forum on the minimum weight that will work? Any opinions appreciated.

I'm considering one of the Savage 12VS models. They're around 10lbs without scope or bipod. Would less weight work? I don't want to haul around more weight than I need.

I'm looking for a new .223 varmint rifle. I want something that is heavy enough to sit still from a bench so I can watch the shots hit. Im in Calif so I don't think I can have a threaded comp on the barrel. I'll be using a bipod. What's the opinion of this forum on the minimum weight that will work? Any opinions appreciated.

I'm considering one of the Savage 12VS models. They're around 10lbs without scope or bipod. Would less weight work? I don't want to haul around more weight than I need.
I have a rem 700 sps v its about 9.5 # with scope and i can see my hits at 100 without any problem its a 204 and i don't think a 223 would be any diffrent it will shoot .327 groups. thats what i recomend

Thanks for the information. The 204 is a fast caliber. I haven't shot one yet, but I hear good things about it.

you might try going another route. your objective is to see the round hit,but not build muscles from carring to much weight.look at a stock that has a good pad and is filled.I believe there is one made by (houge).also along with the weight of a bi-pod you could have your barrel magnaported.If you use adiquite hearing protection.these steps can usually help recoill greatly for even the smallest mountain rifle models,to become little sweeties.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.