How to determin ring height?

Moose Whacker

I am wanting to be able to change scopes from a Leupold v111 4x15x40 to a Leupold v111 1.75x6x32 with quick detach rings.
I want to be able to use the same rifle for longer ranges and also for very short ranges in heavy dark cover. I am using a Browining x Bolt, I will be putting on Picatinny rail. I like to keep the scope as low as possible to maintain a good cheek wield. How do I go about determining what height rings for the 4x14 and a set for the 1.75x6?
Last year my hunt went from long distances to very short, hens when I did get a shot the scope set on the lowest 4x power all I could see was hair!
I like shooting open sights but my rifle is bare neked of irons, and the eyes in dim light don't pick em up as once they did.

If you are measuring circumference, then you have a 3-9x50 with a 1" tube...probably. A 30mm tube would measure about 3.75" around it. This would be much easier if you could get the diameter of the tube where the rings attach and at the end of the scope facing the target. Without those measurements we don't know what rings you need. also, what brand and type of rings are you looking at. different manufactures have different definitions of "low" "medium" and so forth.

How to determine ring height comes from 3 ways... Either 1) do a ton of math and measuring, 2) Trial and error fitment from buying several sets and sending back/selling what doesn't fit, or 3) Lots of experience and knowing your scopes, rings, rail, and rifles, and knowing what fits what, and how much clearance it has if you use what combo of stuff.

For example, I know that if I'm scoping a 700 rifle, and I'm planning on installing a scope with a 50mm objective, I can easily clear using an EGW HD 20MOA rail, and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings.

Just lots of trial and error and measuring.

If you are putting a picatinny rail on the rifle, I would stop worrying about ring height. Just get the lowest rings of the style you like and diameter of your scope tube. Most likely, the picatinny rail will result in way more height than you need for what you are doing.

Best to also make sure that the bottom of your scope doesn't have bumps in it for the adjustment saddle that can still clear the base. That may also dictate higher rings than ideal.

Generally speaking, I love Picatinny rails and rings. However, I don't love how high that usually makes my line of sight.

As for the rings themselves, I usually opt for the best I can get. I especiallly like the Leupold Mark IV rings and the Nightforce. They are built like a brick Outhouse and look great too.

From my 'reference library'

IMG_7210.PNG

Sendero contour I'm clearing Seekins lows with plenty of room for 50mm (with butler creek caps) and 52mm objective scopes, using EGW 20MOA rails.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.