How to blowup your rifle

What rifle was it?... sorry to see you loose a good gun.. you may need to do some more forensic work to understand what went wrong.. may actually help save another gun or maybe even a life..

I too must admit that I did not read this entire thread, but I was wondering if this had something to do with the S .E.E. effect--reduced loads of slow burning powders. The experts admit this exists,although they can't replicate it at will in a lab. Just wondering if the real cold temp didn't bring this on by helping to simulate what takes place when this happens

Last edited:
I too must admit that I did not read this entire thread, but I was wondering if this had something to do with the S .E.E. effect--reduced loads of slow burning powders. The experts admit this exists,although they can't replicate it at will in a lab. Just wondering if the real cold temp didn't bring this on by helping to simulate what takes place when this happens.
What is S.E.E.?

Steve

It's the secondary explosion effect. It is suppose to be , I believe, an explosion with in an explosion. It sometimes happens when you would use reduced loads of slow powders in large cases.

by the oal listed I don't think he had much if any air space in the case if that does matter for the s.e.e. theory. I am not sure if the same but for the 7 rum one of my reloading books says to make sure to use powders that fill the case at least 80% full any less can create potential for inconsistent velocity and dangerous pressure

I am seriously doubting it's any fairy tale issue such as condensation or bridging; It's a 300rum, not a 17 or 22 where a bit of extra load from a drop of moisture could be a problem; it's burning nearly 100 grains of powder too with a primer (215) that'll shoot flames a couple of feet past the barrel...
It could be partially caused by what Bigngreen is talking about... ie. a combination of fouling issues...
I suspect though that his casing lengths are rather long, and if he got one that stretched a bit more than the norm he got a serious crimp situation when he chambered the round... The bullet has a hell of a time getting free of the casing in such a situation, and could easily beat the snot out of everything with an otherwise normal load. I've had blown primers in my Ruger#1 in 338win for this very reason... Metal is also stiffer as the temp. drops, so the rounds that were simply fast in warmer weather may well have gone past fast and into dangerous when shot in a colder temp...

Well. I destroyed my 300 RUM today.

Yesterday I was testing some load development on my 300 RUM with Berger 230 with Retumbo.

Everything went well and found a load that appeared to group well. 86.8 gr. COL of 3.600" Federal 215 primers on Hornady Brass.

The temps were 3 degrees and a slight breeze bringing the windchill temps down to -15.

I went home and loaded a few more rounds at that charge and try a couple other loads.

Today it was -10 with a 20mph wind. For some reason no one else was at the range. I fired 20 rounds of 190gr Nosler Accubonds to make sure that everything was working well and to warm myself up a bit. I am getting about 3100 fps out of the 190s with Retumbo at 91.5gr

20 rounds fired and not a single issue. I was firing a 2 rounds then I would let it sit for few minutes and fire other rifles.

About an hour into it I then switched over to the 230 grain rounds. I fired the first round. 3129fps and I couldn't lift the bolt. Something was seriously wrong. I broke off the bolt handle trying to open it at the range hitting it with my hand trying to open the action.

I took the rifle to my local smith and I attempted to get the bolt out. After three hours f trying everything under the sun, No luck. There is a picture of the results:

QrNtyDc.jpg

It was very difficult to put the gun on a band saw and cut it apart.

To say the least I am not happy. A perfectly good rifle is now a pile of scrap.

I went home and pulled all the bullets to check the powder charges. I used a two different scales and I was within .1 grain of what I loaded.

I don't know what happened. Obviously over pressured. It was 3 degrees out when I tested the rounds and it was only -10 today. There were no pressure sings, no cratered primers, nothing that would indicate that there were any issues on that same load the day before.

What a great way to end the year. I guess I will be looking for a new rifle in the new year.

I have never had anything like this ever happen to me, or anyone I know, and please don't thin I am trying to be a smartass here, but did you check the barrel? Is it possible that the bullet became lodged in the barrel and created enough extreme back pressure that it expanded the brass casing to the point it locked everything up? I am grasping at straws here because I have no other idea.

I have never had anything like this ever happen to me, or anyone I know, and please don't thin I am trying to be a smartass here, but did you check the barrel? Is it possible that the bullet became lodged in the barrel and created enough extreme back pressure that it expanded the brass casing to the point it locked everything up? I am grasping at straws here because I have no other idea.
I think he would likely have had the rifle come apart in that situation...

The indication is an overload. Pressure AND velocity. There were no other outside indicators, except stuck bolt.

Last edited:
It's the secondary explosion effect. It is suppose to be , I believe, an explosion with in an explosion. It sometimes happens when you would use reduced loads of slow powders in large cases.
It can happen in large cases with fast burning powders too. I ran into that problem with H380 and 414 many years ago trying to work up a load for a 140gr 7mm RM.

I was doing all I could to find a single powder for the RM and 220 Swift to help simplify my life and to help avoid accidentally grabbing the wrong powder some time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.