how to: 30-378 to 338-378????

lovdasnow

ok, i think i already know the answer, but just wanted to make sure because i know how expensive this brass is.

I've got 345 pieces of 30-378 weatherby brass, and am building a 338-378. I was going to start resizing and necking up brass, but wanted to double check here before i got going.

in regards to necking up: all i have to do is screw in the 338-378 dies, and run the 30-378 brass through them right? what's the best way to lube the inside of the case neck?

thanks guys

I use Imperial wax to neck up. Also, I use a Sinclair mandrel with the 338 expander.

i didn't have any imperial wax, so i just lubed the cases and used a qtip to lube the inside of the neck before i ran them through the redding dies.

i did 6 cases and they all looked good and didn't have any problems. is the 338 expander necessary, or is that the same thing as just running them through the 338 die?

i did about 60 pieces that look good, and ruined about 6-7. so maybe 10% screw up rate.

die seems to be holding up well though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.