.378 to .338

Speedo

Can I use .378 Weatherby brass to make .338-.378 brass without too much trouble? I've found a bunch of new .378 brass for about 1/2 the price of new .338-.378 brass.

Gus

I would sure think so. You might need to take the brass down to .338 in steps....maybe not. But, that is a pretty big squeeze. I am not sure about the neck thickness....depends on your chamber dimentions.

I baught a whole bunch of 340 wby casses for my 300 wby comp guns.....I have a .334 neck, so I neck turn no matter what, but a stock chamber....just size and shoot.

Now , on the technical side......you really don't need to worry about headspace issues, as the loads will headspace on the belt. BUT...I only reduce the neck size far enough down the neck to get a tight fit when closing the bolt...almost a crush fit...kind of like a faulse sholder when forming Dasher brass. I also do this when I reduce 6.5-47l brass to 6mm.....I only size to 6mm far enough down the neck so the bolt closes stiff.

Just did some full length 375 Chevy -tac to 338 . This is for a 338 snipe-tac, now I reduce load then fire form the case.

I was lucky my full length die was made help keep the neck tenison about 3-4 thousands snuggger.

One thought you may have to go a bit smaller then expand back.

Also to help with case life you may need think about annealing.

Food for thought

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.