How old are you? How old do you FEEL?

29, 6'0'', 185 lbs. 17 years smoking but quit last year.

Well, I should feel 29 but my job has me working 14 hour shift and switching between grave shifts and day shifts every two weeks. I used to be able to switch my sleeping schedule pretty easily but now that I am in this job almost a decade- I find it extremely hard to get enough sleep. when coming off of graveyards, I might get three hours of sleep on my days off. When I am trying to switch to days, I might get two and a half hours of sleep a night. When I do finally get into a groove- its time to switch again. This constant back and forth has caused me other health problems as well. The wife makes it a point to comment on my rapidly greying hair, if that is any indication on how old I feel.

53yrs 5'4" once was 5'6". All of my discs are compressed from a lifetime of manual labor. Had a discectomy for ruptured disc at the L5 that was crushing the S1 nerve a year and a half ago. In the process of getting rid of 35# will be 150# shortly. Up until age 45 I didn't feel like I slowed at all. Now just not as strong or fast. I think the back surgery changed me. I did hike about 200 miles last hunting season, so not done yet and don't plan to stop. Going backpacking with the kids on Memorial day!

I am 61, 6 ' - my guess is 195 lbs.
Legs are great, back is strong but a lifetime of upper body work and an auto accident has caused 4 shoulder surgeries and waiting on a replacement.
I get cardio everyday, I ride everyday and have chores too.
If it weren't for the shoulders I would feel 45 or so.
I plan on resuming my roping, sheep hunting once the dang shoulders are good.

I'm 40. 6'3" 220 pounds. I guess I feel 40. Not sure, I've never been 40 before so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like. I'm still healthy and strong and can do whatever I did in my 20s and more. I feel like I'm on the downhill side of my prime though. It just takes a bit longer to recover from everything...long days of physical exertion, injuries, drinking, you name it. But I work outside everyday for 12 to 14 hours a day on the ranch, so I get plenty of exercise and I think that helps but can be a double edge sword. My dad led the same lifestyle as me, and he's 65 going on 85, so I'm unsure what the future holds for me.

It just takes a bit longer to recover from everything...long days of physical exertion, injuries, drinking, you name it.

Definitely drinking! I remember when I was 22 at my officer basic course. We had a 6 mile run the next day for this test. Me and like 5 of my buddies spent the entire night getting sloppy drunk. We show up to formation not in the best shape (could have gotten in trouble) but our cadre was cool. My buddies and I took off and finished the 6 miles all under 40 mins. We crossed the finish line and literally burned off the hang over and felt great. I never drink liquor, but I really like beer. If I have more than 4 beers now, I am feeling it the next day. If i drink like when I was in my 20s, I will literally have a hang over for 3 days. I have buddies who can still crush a 12 pack and be at work the next day like nothing happened. It makes me sick just thinking about it. lol. Honeslty, I am glad I get so sick from drinking. Its not a good habit to have.

I really need to get back down to 185 again. Thats when I felt my best. 200lbs I feel sloppy for some reason.

40, 5'9'', 160 lbs. I've made my living training horses, rode races when I could make the weight when I was younger. Still exercise Thoroughbreds daily. That will keep you fit! Broken talus bone in my left foot about 17 years ago. I've been lucky! I get up at 3:30 in the morning 7 days a week. I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up!

I am 61, 6 ' - my guess is 195 lbs.
Legs are great, back is strong but a lifetime of upper body work and an auto accident has caused 4 shoulder surgeries and waiting on a replacement.
I get cardio everyday, I ride everyday and have chores too.
If it weren't for the shoulders I would feel 45 or so.
I plan on resuming my roping, sheep hunting once the dang shoulders are good.
Good Luck with the shoulder surgery......after my 3rd shoulder surgery and 12 titanium screws, my roping day's were over.....that was in 2008. It's hard to give up something you've done all your life. Hope you're able to rope again!

I'm 40. 6'3" 220 pounds. I guess I feel 40. Not sure, I've never been 40 before so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like. I'm still healthy and strong and can do whatever I did in my 20s and more. I feel like I'm on the downhill side of my prime though. It just takes a bit longer to recover from everything...long days of physical exertion, injuries, drinking, you name it. But I work outside everyday for 12 to 14 hours a day on the ranch, so I get plenty of exercise and I think that helps but can be a double edge sword. My dad led the same lifestyle as me, and he's 65 going on 85, so I'm unsure what the future holds for me.
The Cowboy Life will catch up to you! It did me! But I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do all over again! Keep on Ridin' and Ropin' while you can!

40, 5'9'', 160 lbs. I've made my living training horses, rode races when I could make the weight when I was younger. Still exercise Thoroughbreds daily. That will keep you fit! Broken talus bone in my left foot about 17 years ago. I've been lucky! I get up at 3:30 in the morning 7 days a week. I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up!

5:00 for me!

Good Luck with the shoulder surgery......after my 3rd shoulder surgery and 12 titanium screws, my roping day's were over.....that was in 2008. It's hard to give up something you've done all your life. Hope you're able to rope again!
Me too! previous shoulder rebuilds. I will just throw an big old snare loop if I can get close enough.
I know what you mean, they are roping next door tonight, I am going to take my new filly the other direction. Crap

69 .... 6'4" 265 that needs to be 250 this fall for elk/muley hunt. Complete rebuild of right shoulder in 12/2018 all 4 rotator tendons, bicep tendon displaced by a bone cyst, bone spurs torn labrum. Other that that it was in perfect shape. Still killed nice buck with bow, painful but made it happen. Both eye lens replaced with artificial inner oculars lens in 2012 and best thing that I ever did now that I have 20/15 distance vision. Can see thru scope, binocs, animals in distance and so on. Cataracts were awful and glad I had the lens procedure. Severe spinal stenosis and severe spinal arthritis is a daily pain deal but I live with it. Trekking poles have become absolutely necessary and gave me 4x4 ability for climbing and going thru rough stuff. Highly recommend.

Horse stuff probably did in my shoulders from doing all the stupid things you think are fun as young man. Farrier for a while, rode gymkhana and rodeo. Team roping, bull dogging (what the hell was I thinking?), saddle bronc once which is all I needed to convince me I was too **** big for that!

52....210-15#....5'9"..used to be 5'11"....no disc in lower back impacted nerves..middle back has problems..neck not so good either...severally wiped out ankles playing college football..rebuilt right knee..not so good left knee....completely reattached right shoulder(guiding incident) torn up left shoulder(same guiding incident)still torn)..right wrist reattached last year(don't do it..not fun)....
.80% hearing loss with severe tinnitus(cant work in public store) can't hear people much unless they scream)and the tinnitus does that too)....
Good days bad days....work hard for an ahole boss(myself)....but that's the way of a deaf person.....
Exercise on my mountain bike on roads..or some animal trails..for the exercise not the stupidity of braking something else on my body....
Some days 35 some way older than I am.....age to be determined.....when or if i get there.....
But i still hunt up the hill and over...just a lot slower...and packing myself out is getting tough...and animal.......way more tough.....

Recent Posts