How young are you guys?

Currently 41 years old

4 years old: First BB gun.
5 years old: First .22 rifle.
5 years old: Shot first 20 & 12 gauge.
6 years old: Shot first .38 Super & .44 Mag.
5 years old: Started to learn about reloading & helped my Dad reload, of course under his supervision. We reloaded for many different pistol and rifle calibers. We reloaded for 20 & 12 gauge. My brother and I grew up with a Dad that hunted ducks and geese every day of the season. Shot upland game birds practically every day of the season. Deer hunted every year. And the days we were not fishing the rest of the year we were at the skeet and trap range, rifle/pistol range, or at home reloading. Aside from keeping busy all year round doing something related to the shooting sports or fishing, I also maintained a trap line during trapping season. I have trapped and shot many hundreds of beaver, red fox, and coyotes. I had a very large amount of savings in the bank by the time I graduated High School. Easily paid for an Associates and a Bachelors Degree at mid-range universities. Also paid for my private and commercial pilots licenses out of my trapping savings and still had money in the bank.
My father was the best shot gun shooter I have ever seen shoot. He had shot many thousands of ducks and geese in his life. I also have never seen a man that could hit deer, antelope, and coyotes running wide open broadside at ranges out to 4 & 500 yards. He did not miss very often.

Dave,

Welcome to the 1/2 century club
grin.gif

I hit that mark a couple of years back
frown.gif

Don
smile.gif

Well ---------------- 54 , Grandpa started me at about 6 or 7 , helped him reload things way back when also - Herters was real big back then , they according to them were the ONLY place to go for hunting and fishing needs.

51 is but a couple of months away.

Grew up in a non-hunting family. Learned weapons in the Army, '71-'73. Became a handgun hunter for several years after coming home.

Entered law enforcement in late '70s which introduced me to the art of the rifle. Started hunting/shooting with big bore rifles about that time.

Got into precision rimfire arms in the '90s which led straight to LR hunting/shooting.

And here I are
cool.gif

~Holmes

Your stories are both encouraging, and a little disapointing. Now i know that i still have a long time left in this sport, but also that i have a long way to go to get even half as good as you, because i only started shooting a couple of years ago, and most of you have been shooting from the age of 4-5. Oh will, better go and get practicing.;
grin.gif

No hard feelings, but it's still nice to know that I'm not the oldest. I knew there had to be some age here, given the wisdom that flows throughout this site! Really got a charge out of the busboy statement!!!

im 45 if you count the BB gun i was to young to rember it.when i was 8 or 9 i could go hunting for birds and such by myself.i was shooting before that but had my father was there,thanks,keith

Immortal Wombat,
Like the saying goes, "better late than never". Do not worry, you are still young. You have many years left to hone your skills in the shooting sports. And you are part of a great group of people.

Over 50. Began active woods hunting in about 1958 or 59. Broke in on a .22 Savage bolt and a Win. mdl. 42 .410. Have shot my share of BBs too.
grin.gif

db

I'm 33 and have been handloading since I was 16. Needless to say, my ammo is now alot better quality now than it was when I started. I shot on the Smallbore Rifle Team in college, where I earned my varsity letter using an Anschutz model 54 target. You could lay down 10 shots from prone at 50 feet with aperture sights and then drop a loaded round into the hole and the rim would not pass through. I just couldn't figure out a way to sneak that rifle out and take it home!

Hi Wombat - I am 49 and would most likely swap with you to be 18 again if i could keep my experiences in this old head!
I have been hunting since about 8/9 with my first air rifle and since then have shot pigs consistently over the last 38 years.
I have seen pigs and rabbits in numbers which may never be seen again as well as some pristine hunting in Africa. I began hunting in Zimbabwe just after the civil war ended in an area of 2M acres where only 2 operators were found. The same area now has about 8 operators hunting there and the trophy sizes have diminished greatly. My first trip I saw 1500 Cape Buffalo in one herd and in the same area 5 years ago spent 10 days to see 300 total!
On the other hand the knowledge [such as this forum] and equipment available is unbelievable compared to 20 years ago. Just that short time ago there were no synthetic stocks; rangefinders; or really accurate factory ammo. If you wanted accuracy then you had to reload. Even in that sphere we have a much greater choice of all components.
Enjoy the learning trip!

[ 08-19-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.