How Often Do You See Rattlesnakes PD Hunting?

Cholla

I hunt rattlesnakes to make things, which can be profitable. I heard that rattlesnakes are common around PD towns. While I have not been PD hunting in 30 years, I never saw a rattlesnake when PD hunting. What are your experiences? Were they inside the burrow? Outside? What time of day/what time of year?

I have seen one come out of a PD hole. He didn't live long.

I walk the PD fields and saw a scraggly looking deformed bush or tree about 12" tall. I don't know why, but I thought what a great place for a snake to hang out. When I checked it out, sure enough there was one under it. It was alive when I got there but not when I left.

I don't know why, but when I encounter one it always makes me feel really strange for several minutes, even after I leave.

Cholla I have a question does Arizona have a Rattlesnake season?
Rattlesnakes are a regulated species. There are 13 recognized species in the state. There are four protected species because they are endangered. The season is year-long for the rest. From what I remember, I am allowed four of each non-endangered species in possession.

Rattlesnakes are a regulated species. There are 13 recognized species in the state. There are four protected species because they are endangered. The season is year-long for the rest. From what I remember, I am allowed four of each non-endangered species in possession.
The reason I'm asking is here in Missouri there not any snake season and if there no season you can not kill it

I hunt rattlesnakes to make things, which can be profitable. I heard that rattlesnakes are common around PD towns. While I have not been PD hunting in 30 years, I never saw a rattlesnake when PD hunting. What are your experiences? Were they inside the burrow? Outside? What time of day/what time of year?
I go on 2-3 pd hunts every year and usually see 1-2/year. They're usually at the edge of the hole. What do you make w/ the skins?
1704170764539.jpeg

I've seen them turkey hunting in Texas. Hunted and caught 3 for a Texas rattlesnake roundup. On a Kansas pheasant hunt I walked up on a little one opening day. Mountain biking near Boulder, CO we found one on the trail sunning. Fishing the Miracle Mile in WY a bud and I walking to the river had one rattling at us in the deep grass, but never spotted it. And of course PD hunting in the Pawnee Grasslands, CO years ago. None recently.
The one PD hunting came within 3 feet of us while we were prone shooting. I'm a small guy. At the time 5'8", about 140 lbs (chubbed out to 150 lbs now in my old age). With one hand I grabbed my 10 year old step son and threw him over my head to get him away from the rattler.
All the years I have spent outdoors, those are my only rattlesnake experiences. I've had vastly more water moccasin encounters than rattlesnake growing up in Texas.

Last edited:
I go on 2-3 pd hunts every year and usually see 1-2/year. They're usually at the edge of the hole. What do you make w/ the skins?
I make belt buckles, bolo ties, hatbands, hair ties, and earrings. Hatbands sell the best. I just bought a Juki 1541S so I hope to expand into belts and cuffs. I even use the vertebrae.

1704198633119.png

1704198670738.png

1704198742444.png

1704198841716.png