Shipping ammo for pd hunt

jvr

I live in Louisiana and thinking of going west for a pd hunt next year. I have flown with guns and ammo before 911. Assume ammo is not allowed as checked baggage. How do you get large lots of hand loaded ammo to your destination.

Thanks

FedEx it (well in advance) to the location where you are going: the farm, guide or a friend. You can check ammunition, but not the amount of rounds (weight) you need for a good shoot.

If you're going to buy factory ammo, save the double shipping and just have it shipped from the ammo seller to your family/friend/guide where you're hunting.

You CAN take ammo as Checked bag.....must be in lockable case....I use a square pelican case. Most airlines include the procedures on their website....not hard to find. I fly delta without any problems.

I just went to SD and ND to shoot dogs. Was less expensive to ship my ammo UPS than to bring with me on Delta Airline both ways. I shipped it and after I shot it up, 1000 rounds, stuck the empty boxes in my luggage and brought them home. The shipping cost me $ 28 with UPS.

l have flown with ammo in checked baggage many times since 9/11.. Rules are 5 kilos or 11 pounds. l was told by airlines that ammo should be in factory packaging. lt may vary with each carrier. 11 pounds is app 175rds of 22-250, 350 for 223Rem, 400 in 222Rem, and 500rds of 221Furball.. Most BANG for my 11 pounds was a 1000rds of 17HMR for a Ground Squirrel shoot near Goose Lake, Oregon on the Cali/Ore border.
For extra firearms safety l would remove the bolt from my rifle and pack it separately. l also would carry an almost spent roll of duct tape with me.. Right after Security examined my gun and case l would run some duct tape around each end of the case. Told them it was extra precaution to keep case closed during the trip... Also would let ME KNOW if someone had tampered with my gun and case. l highly recommend SKB gun cases... Never a problem with mine.. Enjoy and be Safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts