rifles for pd shooting

I live in prairie dog country and started shooting them in 1949. Over the years I have enjoyed shooting with various brands of rifles and trying out different cartridges. Sofar I have shot them with 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 22 RF, 22 WMR, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Rem, and some big game rounds. I use reloaded ammo in the centerfire rifles. When I can find a CZ 17 Hornady Hornet, and the new Winchester 17 Super Mag rifles I ll try them out. I dont shot p dogs when it very windy and know where the prairie dog towns are that have not ben shot over very much and some not at all. If I could have only three rifles they would be a 17 HMR, 204 Ruger, and a 22-250 Rem varmint whith a thumb hole stock. I dont like missing so I dont try shooting past 400 yards with the larger case centerfire rounds. I get a lot of shoots within 150 yards and use the rimfire and lower power center fire rifles

Totall,

Here is the best advice I can give you:

If you are shooting from the bench you will want your most accurate of the bunch. I would take the .22-250 and the .17 because of the cheap ammo.

If you plan to walk I would just take your .204, it should handel anything out to 400 with a little practice and would work plenty well close up. Another thing if you are walking, it is nice to have a light rifle.gun)

AH3682 my thoughts exactly on the rifles. My CZ 204 is light enough for me to carry around. I'm happy to say my gun dealer has found me a savage model 12 vlp 22-250 in a 12 twist & hopefully it will be here this week. I was going to go with a 9 twist but there wasnt one to be found after having many people look. I was a little concerned about possible loss of accuracy (which i cant afford) & shorter barrel life with the 9 twist. Hopefully the 12 will handle up to a 60 grain bullet. After 50 plus years of shooting I finally have my reloading area set up & have started to load by myself. So far I have loaded about 200 rounds for my 204 & am happy with the results. I manage to shoot fairly tight groups but not tight enough yet. My only problem has been with bullet seating depth which I hope to solve with a new die. Thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.