How often do you guys test different primers to help with accuracy?

I know I should try different primers, but I use just one type and develop the load around it. Thus far never had a problem developing an accurate load. I'm certainly not a BR shooter however.

Did have a small amount of difficulty finding good load for an X-bolt, but it has a super long throat and issue was more seating depth than primer.

I decided a while ago to use a hotter /magnum primer for every chambering I have, small or large.I just feel better ignition is a good thing .

I know I should try different primers, but I use just one type and develop the load around it. Thus far never had a problem developing an accurate load. I'm certainly not a BR shooter however.

Did have a small amount of difficulty finding good load for an X-bolt, but it has a super long throat and issue was more seating depth than primer.

I too am not a BR shooter ans as noted in #13 (see hyperlink too). CCIs has been my go to primers and last year was my first time playing with other primers as I was developing loads and got lucky ...

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

In my LGSs, most primers you see on the shelves are WLRMs and 9 1/2 Ms. Luckily, I have plenty of what is listed on the spreadsheet.

Cheers!

I decided a while ago to use a hotter /magnum primer for every chambering I have, small or large.I just feel better ignition is a good thing .
:) I would watch for pressure signs with magnum primer ,with fast burning powder ,you mat not require a hotter primer. Ball powders some companies suggest magnum primers. Your powder charge should the smallest to start and work up to the larger, checking pressure signs.

The right primer is one important link to accuracy IMO. About 1973 I got a quick lesson in primers. I was working on the rifle cleaning out the barrel channel from a messed up glass bedding. the action bedding was good the barrel was ugly. The owner said ,The rifle shot nickel groups at 100 yds. before the bedding. I loaded 80 gr. bullets, IMR 4064 powder and CCI 200 standard primers in 243 Win. brass. Rifle was shooting 1" groups. Same can of powder same load on same scale, same box of bullets, same brass, with REM. 91/2 primer. First 5 shot group completely disappeared under a dime. Happy owner when he picked his rifle.
My brother was having a shot to drop low right 5-6 inches about 1 in 10 shots at 100 yds. out of his 700 338 WM. He was blaming himself for the bad shot. When we got a chance to chronograph the loads we found that the low right shot was about 200 FPS slower. He changed primers and the stray shots disappeared.

In extreme cold weather, I load magnum primers to assure better ignition. But they often work well in warm climates also .

Pretty much just what the title says... how often do you guys test different primers to help with accuracy?

I test and track results of many variables with my reloading. I had a small epiphany this morning. I never really try different primers.

What are your guy's thoughts on this? Have you ever tightened up a group by using a different brand of primer?

Thanks!
Just one time.... until..... Once I nail down a load I will fool around with primers and see if it changes anything. I usually settle on CCI200's. But.... if I change powders, or if the manufacturer changes the formulation, or I change bullets or brass or a NEW or DIFFERENT rifle, I'll fiddle with primers just to see if it changes things in my favor. With my hunting rounds I have an "eh good enough" frame of mind. If I'm 1/2" to 1" at 100yds that's good enough for me and I stop fiddling.